My colleague Suzanne Kubota at Federal News Radio has put together this Top 10 list of things you should do before c.o.b. Friday in case of a government shutdown:
10) Water the plants. You may be gone for a while.
9) Update your pay information.
8) Make sure your phone number is current in the system.
7) Subscribe to FederalNewsRadio alerts and emails at your HOME address
6) From Dixie @ DoD: “Have a go at writing (your) respective Congressional member and letting them know what we do and how we feel.”
5) Learn from Senior Corresondent Mike Causey’s experience: Write down those passwords you carry in your head and save them someplace safe. It’s easy to forget them without frequent use.
4) Update email and phone out of office message.
3) Throw out what you have in the office fridge. Replace it when you come back.
2) And no matter what happens, plan on showing up for work Monday, at least to turn in your BlackBerry.
1) Turn in your time card.
And the final tip comes from CNN’s Bob Constantini. He said federal employees who ride the morning MARC train with him said they “haven’t heard that much from their bosses about what to do. They were told to turn in their timecards today to make it faster, perhaps, that they might get paid.”
What’s on your Pre-Shutdown To-Do List?