Posts Tagged: Gen-X

Understanding Generational Differences Can Improve Local Gov Services

New research findings make clear that local government’s approach to service cannot be one-size-fits-all. At a time when effectively reaching and engaging all community members is imperative for public health and continuity of government operations, understanding and meeting generational differences is critical.

4 Steps to Being a Better Boss for Your Multigenerational Workforce

With baby boomers restlessly pacing at retirement’s door, it’s critical to plan now for the significant talent gap that lies ahead. Right now, your workforce is likely made up of multiple generations bringing different traits to the table. It’s critical to take advantage of this multigenerational makeup before baby boomers retire and transition out of… Read more »

Amid Austerity Measures, Innovation Opportunities lie with Gen X and Y’ers

Without a doubt, the federal government will be facing austerity measures in coming years. On top of these measures, federal government is being restructured, which reshapes the way government needs to operate. NextGen 2012 speaker and chairman of Venture Philanthropy Partners as well as the Morino Institute, Mario Morino, spoke with the DorobekINSIDER’s Chris DorobekRead… Read more »

How do you help leaders connect the dots?

Alright, so we have all been there, as I was this morning, sitting at the table during an important meeting. You watch, listening intently as the live tennis match of points, counter-points and other subtly irrelevant comments are made by leaders about a project or initiative that you are heavily invested in. You can seeRead… Read more »

I can be led, so lead me.

I’ve lost count of the number of times over the last decade that I’ve watched presentations that make reference to the generational differences in workplace motivation between the Baby Boomers and the younger generations of X (~1961 to ~1981) and Y (~1982 to ~1999). For the most part, they all tend to focus on theRead… Read more »

Managing the “Graying” of Municipal IT Staff

by Tim Verras, Sophicity The looming retirement of the Baby Boomer Generation is a concern on the horizon for municipal IT managers. Staff with decades of experience in the technologies and processes crucial to the municipality’s operations will be handing over positions to middle or entry level employees. The question for IT managers becomes: HowRead… Read more »