Posts Tagged: initiative

CityCamp Colorado Recap

The 2nd annual CityCamp Colorado was held on October 28, 2011, with about sixty participants from eighteen cities and counties around Colorado, several private IT sector leaders, members of academia, and the engaged public. (Cross posted from the Open Colorado website, http://opencolorado.org/blog/citycamp-colorado-recap-2/) Here’s a rundown of how the day went: Opening remarks from Tom Downey,Read… Read more »

Customer Service Guidance Issued by OMB

OMB released customer service guidance to agencies earlier this week but it was lost in the hoopla over the announcement of Obama’s new Campaign to Cut Waste, starting with cuts in the number of federal websites. Six weeks ago, President Obama signed an executive order, “Streamlining Service Delivery and Improving Customer Service,” directing agencies toRead… Read more »

Where Is Waldo?

George Washington University professor Kathy Newcomer likened the Obama Administration’s performance agenda to a game of “Where is Waldo?” at a Brookings Institution forum last week on improving government performance. She says “you have to look carefully” to find it. She said there was no orchestrated campaign with a band leading the way. Newcomer’s insightRead… Read more »

Pick up the phone

Pick up the phone I recently gave away my old futon mattress on Craigslist (thanks, Craig!). Why does this have to do with job searching? I posted the listing in the “free stuff” section. As anyone knows who has ever posted anything in that section, you are immediately inundated with random emails and calls fromRead… Read more »

National Export Initiative: Boon for US Exporters

President Obama’s State of the Union address last month yielded a windfall for those companies who earn their way in foreign trade, and for those federal agencies who support their cause. The goals of our new National Export Initiative include doubling American exports over the next five years and supporting up to two million jobsRead… Read more »

Taking the Initiative

As a leadership coach, one of the issues that I hear about from my clients at the GS-14/15 level of the federal government is the lack of opportunities to demonstrate their capabilities and competencies through new and meaningful projects, tasks, or assignments. Often they will express their frustrations by saying that their senior manager doesRead… Read more »

How-To: Make a Contribution and Gain Influence in Public Administration

Hi. Now that I have your attention, there are many ways to do this but I’m only going to talk about one. I think of it as, “Doing the Work.” Making a Contribution There are many ways to add value in public administration, whether you work in government or academe, a nonprofit or a corporation.Read… Read more »

Feedback Survey for Participants in the Open Government Dialogue

A number of organizations in the field of public engagement (NCDD, IAP2, Everyday Democracy, AmericaSpeaks and others) are collaborating on evaluating the Open Government Dialogue and provide recommendations to the Obama administration. They put together this survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=eTvTvChVronq9O_2fZwwCbBQ_3d_3d It’s open to all participants and will be live through August 14. I’ve shared some additional thoughtsRead… Read more »

World Trade Week: View from the Border

2009 World Trade Week events in the southern California/US-Mexico border region: Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce & U.S. Commercial Service co-hosted The Americas Business Forum in Los Angeles May 27-28. Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke reminded guests to tap the US & Foreign Commercial Service’s myriad resources. LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa shared his vision ofRead… Read more »