Posts Tagged: Inspector

Pentagon Audit: Navy Spent $870M on ERP System, Did Not Use Asset Mgmt Function

The U.S. Navy spent $870 million to implement a new enterprise resource planning system but did not use the systems’ asset management functionality to manage military equipment. Department of the Navy Office of Financial Operations officials were supposed to use the ERP system to manage more than $416 million in military equipment assets as countedRead… Read more »

The Goverment Man Talks About the GSA Scandal (Again) and the Inspector General – Some Fun Stuff

My last few blogs departed from the fun stuff from Confessions and shifted to some caustic commentary about the GSA scandal with just a few barbs pointed at the Office of the Inspector General. My You Tube videos did the same. Given the recent well-publicized and hard to justify midnight raid on someone’s hotel room,Read… Read more »

The Government Man – Some (Hopefully) Final Words About the GSA Ex-Scandal

The Government Man has been pretty quiet lately, save for an occasional blog or You Tube posting. The GSA scandal has been long out of the news. My insiders tell me that GSA has taken disciplinary action against those implicated in the alleged wrongdoing. As I said before, I am not attempting to defend thoseRead… Read more »

Picking on Feds? “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore!”

One of our favorite movies here at Who is the IG? is Network, a 1976 movie about a floundering evening news program that is about to be canceled due to low ratings. The anchor, so upset that he is going to be fired in two weeks, resorts to announcing that he will commit suicide onRead… Read more »

Really?! moments from the IG vacancies hearing

Last week, Chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Darrell Issa, held a hearing entitled “Where Are All the Watchdogs? Addressing Inspector General Vacancies.” The purpose of the hearing was supposed to be why there are so many vacant Inspector General positions (the Presidentially appointed, Senate confirmed ones anyway). The Project onRead… Read more »

Contract Management not Sexy, but Necessary

A recent Defense Department inspector general report found that contracting officers and their representatives (COR) at the U.S. Army Medical Research Acquisition Activity need to step up their game when it comes to improving contract performance and acquisition outcomes. The report shins a light on a reality hitting many procurement offices, where the intense workload,Read… Read more »

TIGTA CIO Navigates Slow and Steady on New Technology

George Jakabcin, CIO of the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA), takes a conservative approach to new technology. Not surprising considering his cybersecurity background and the risk-averse agency he works in. FedInsider talked to Jakabcin about his role at TIGTA and within the IRS, and about his thoughts on virtualization, cloud computing, and otherRead… Read more »

Inspector General Finds Power Grid Cyber Security Lacking

A report by the Department of Energy (DOE) Inspector General, released yesterday, revealed gaps in the way the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) is implementing cyber security standards for the United States’ power grid. The audit revealed a number of issues with both the standards and their implementation. The implementation approach and schedule for criticalRead… Read more »

Online MPA Inspector General Program Launched

John Jay College of Criminal Justice, in affiliation with the Association of Inspectors General, has launched a new opportunity for professional development and career advancement in the field of inspection and oversight. John Jay’s highly respected MPA Inspector General Program is now available in both the traditional classroom format and in a primarily online format.Read… Read more »