Facebook Ad Campaigns – Driving Likes to “Discover a Career at NIH”

Home Forums Technology Facebook Ad Campaigns – Driving Likes to “Discover a Career at NIH”

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Justin Herman Justin Herman 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    James Miceli
    Participant

At the National Institutes of Health, we’re lucky to have a great Social Media team. We have a great recruiting site, “Discover a Career at NIH.” Come over to our page, and like us!

My question today is operational in nature: we’re running an ad campaign right now to increase the number of likes on our page. Has anyone:

a) Done this before?

b) Have any successful strategies for marketing facebook pages for government agencies?

c) Any ideas on what a good cost per action? Cost per like? (even though facebook doesn’t calculate the cost per like for you – I think that is our measure of success).

We’re trying to drive engagement with our page. It has a scrape of all our announcements on USAJobs, a great set of videos explaining what we do here, and the most up to date information about job announcements and internships. I’m excited to learn from your expertise!

Justin Herman
    Participant

I’d recommend forgetting “likes” as your metric — they are near meaningless when it comes to focusing your social media strategy around recruitment. A better metric would be number of resumes received through Facebook, since recruiting is your goal. Also, think of it this way — due to the EdgeRank adjustment, people who “like” you page are still unlikely to receive your updates unless you pay again through promoted posts. As a result, if you base your metrics on “likes” in this case, you’re falling down a hole of continued payments and little to show for it.

If you’d like to discuss, shoot me an email at justin.herman (at) gsa.gov. Would be glad to chat!

GovLoop
    Keymaster

Couple ideas:

-Promote it in your other channels – got an email liist? Send one email to all saying fan us on Facebook – maybe run prize/giveaway/or special content. Always include everywhere (in email footer, at events, etc)

-You already do it but great content wins – photos, real personality, regular posting. Also for careers I think any unique content/opportunities are great

-Have others promote – reach out to career counselors and have them share. Once again works if there’s some unique content or special something at FB page – not just please tell students to fan us on FB. Question is – why? what do they get out of it uniquely?

GovLoop
    Keymaster

Tip from Twitter

Provide value to the potential “likers” that is in line w/ agency mission. Value is a great magnet :)

Mary Yang
    Participant

I don’t disagree with Justin about using likes as a metric, but if this is a first stab at something like, a basic metric such as a like may be helpful in measuring initial success. I do agree that a better goal would be the number of resumes received via Facebook. This would be the ultimate measurement for success for this project. (Funny timing: I just got this email as I replied to your post – Can you really measure a Facebook ‘like’?).

In looking at your page, if you’re measuring engagement, have you considered asking more questions of your audience? Maybe your ad campaign can incorporate thought-provoking/intriguing/funny questions that draw people in to your Facebook page.

James Miceli
    Participant

Thanks all! Great tips!

Dana Allen-Greil
    Participant

You said your goal is to drive engagement with your page–engagement would be measured through comments, post likes, and post shares (as opposed to page likes). In my experience trying to reach a similar goal for HHS campaign Facebook pages (e.g., Million Hearts, The Heart Truth), Promoted Posts (as opposed to ads) were the best way to improve engagement rates. You could also consider Sponsored Stories (e.g., your friend performed this action on this post). I also recommend downloading your post metrics for the past 6 months or so and seeing what is most engaging–AND what is least engaging. What are the similarities and differences? What kinds of posts get shared vs. liked? Make sure you first define what kind of engagement do you care most about (comments, shares, or likes?).

If you feel you need to grow your audience first, I recommend concentrating on Sponsored Stories (we found great success with the ones that show only people who are not currently your fan an ad that says “Your friend likes this page” alongside a like button). However, this only will appear to people who are friends with someone who is already your fan. If you need to broaden your target, go for Facebook ads with a button to like your page.

I’d be curious to know who your target audience is and whether Facebook is the right place to reach them. Are people HHS job hunters for a sustained period of time or only for a short while (until they find a job)? Do people want different kinds of content depending on where they are in the job hunt process (e.g., just looking, actively applying, waiting for a response). Or are you more interested in targeting students who will eventually be job hunters?

I hope this helps. Happy to chat more!

GovLoop
    Keymaster

Couple other good ones from Twitter

Personally still feel that HR one of the areas that .gov could much more effectively use social media cc

3. Use a way to connect to .edu & other orgs that might be pipeline for applicants.Love to hear how works out cc

Couple ideas 1. Use stories from real people in current positions 2. Answer questions from perspective applicants cc

Jocelia Rancy
    Participant

Good post! also what happens to the audience that is not registered to Facebook?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.