Failures and Successful Projects Examples

Home Forums Program and Project Management Failures and Successful Projects Examples

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GovLoop GovLoop 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Brian Gryth
    Brian Gryth
    Participant

I am looking for examples on project failures and success.

Can anyone point me to documented examples? Or if anyone is willing to share his or her first hand knowledge I would appreciate it.

I am currently working on a research project examining better decision making, planning, and processes to lead to better project implementation success. These examples will be used in the research.

Thanks,

Brian

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

Any specific type of projects? Or any project failures and successes?

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

We were doing a “project of week” for awhile – some good successes there – list is at http://www.govloop.com/profiles/blog/list?tag=projectofweek

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of Steve Cottle
    Steve Cottle
    Participant

GovLoop member Bill Eggers (disclosure: with whom I worked) wrote a terrific book that examined 70 or so case studies of government projects that succeeded and failed. He looked at them in terms of different phases and traps. I’d definitely recommend it, if you’re researching project failures/successes.

http://www.govloop.com/profiles/blogs/govreads-if-we-can-put-a-man

In government, I have found the executive level managers do not set aside funds to implement IT projects even though approved to implement. For example, I would compile an annual list of projects to implement, acquire sponsor approval, list costs/etc only for management to subsequently choose to not fund a project. I understand the accounting system’s budget module was not implemented and separate Excel spreadsheets were maintained by accounting staff. The money is always available during periods of abundant funding; therefore, management had little incentive to implement the accounting systems budget module. I have never seen a documented IT budget report. You can only imagine the problems during periods of reduced funding.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.