Favorite Quotes

Home Forums Miscellaneous Favorite Quotes

This topic contains 201 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Henry Brown Henry Brown 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

A good quote can do a lot. Sum up a situation. Offer guidance. Provide clarity.

What are your favorites?

I’ll start:
    Color outside the lines but on the same page
    Its better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    There is no charge for awesomeness.

Profile photo of Henry Brown
    Henry Brown
    Participant

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it” Mark Twain

Henry Brown
    Participant

“In the end, what we pay the most attention to defines us. How you choose to spend the irreplaceable hours of your life literally transforms you” Diane Ackerman

Henry Brown
    Participant

“If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving may not be for you.” [by unknown] –> “If you keep failing with small data now, BIG DATA isn‘t for you!” [by Anton Chuvakin]

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Once you embrace unpleasant news, not as a negative but as evidence of a need for change you aren’t defeated by it. You’re learning from it” Bill Gates

Henry Brown
    Participant

“If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.” Thomas Edison

Henry Brown
    Participant

Given the current anti-tax atmosphere, there is no way Congress is going to take away from voters what voters mistakenly view as their God-given right to shop sales-tax-free.” — Richard Pomp

Henry Brown
    Participant

“A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd.” Max Lucado

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Nothing in life is more important than the ability to communicate effectively.” Gerald Ford

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere” Albert Einstein

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it’s important. ” ― Eugene J. McCarthy

Henry Brown
    Participant

“to be old and wise, you must first have to young and stupid” anonymous

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Nothing that has meaning is easy,”Easy” doesn’t enter into grown-up life.” Michael Caine

Henry Brown
    Participant

Silent and listen are spelled with the same letters! Unknown

Henry Brown
    Participant

It is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and skill. -Wilbur Wright

Henry Brown
    Participant

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.~ George Washington

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The further the problem [to be solved] from the solver’s expertise, the more likely they are to solve it,” K.R. Lakhini, Harvard Professor

Profile photo of Paul Alberti
    Paul Alberti
    Participant

I like that. There are studies that show if you ask an expert how to solve a problem – they hedge and build in buffers because they know all the variables, issues, possibilities and they take forever to solve the problem. Someone who is not familiar with the issue is not constrained by all the minutia and frequently solve the problem. Not to say we don’t need experts, but sometimes too knowledge can get in the way.

The value of the Beginners Mind!

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Moving mountains is not a spectator sport. If you see someone trying to make change at work and you support the idea, get in there and lend a hand, why don’t you?” From Rebels at Work Blog:

Profile photo of Samuel Lovett
    Samuel Lovett
    Participant

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”

“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

–Martin Luther King, Jr.

Henry Brown
    Participant

“You’ve got to somehow make a suburban dweller realize that the quality of life in the suburbs is directly related to the intensity of the core of the city. ” Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett

Henry Brown
    Participant

The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Henry Brown
    Participant

” Some bits of the more radical SOPA, in particular, “overreached” and “really did pose some risk to the Internet.” Senator Chris Coons (D-DE)

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort,” Albert Einstein

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Welcome to the college education revolution. Big breakthroughs happen when what is suddenly possible meets what is desperately necessary” Thomas Friedman, NYT

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example.” – Benjamin Disraeli

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself” Robert Green Ingersoll

Henry Brown
    Participant

“A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd.” Max Lucado

Henry Brown
    Participant

“When you see yourself doing something badly and nobody’s bothering to tell you anymore, that’s a very bad place to be. Your critics are your ones telling you they still love you and care.” Randy Pausch

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the the universe.”- Albert Einstein.

Henry Brown
    Participant

“no plan ever survives first contact with the enemy.” Helmut Von Moltke

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Heroism is not a viable Leadership Strategy.” From the RecoveringFed Blog:

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Don’t listen to what people say, watch what they do” Darren Hardy (amongst others)

Henry Brown
    Participant

“It was funny to see the real world start to catch up with things we were playing with on the fictional side.” Peter Singer Brookings Institute 21st Century Defense Initiative Director

Henry Brown
    Participant

“I think it’s very healthy to spend time alone. You need to know how to be alone and not defined by another person” Olivia Wilde

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Until you have a breach, nobody really wants to step up and pay extra money for security,” Steve Fletcher Former CIO of Utah

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The biggest risks to information security are the people. Studies have shown that most security incidents start from within, and are usually accidental,” Kevin Mitnick

Henry Brown
    Participant

“I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.” ~ President Dwight D Eisenhower

Henry Brown
    Participant

“where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.” Ronald Reagan

Henry Brown
    Participant

“You can’t reach for anything new if your hands are still full of yesterday’s junk” Louise Smith

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.” Roman philosopher Seneca

Henry Brown
    Participant

“…to win in battle a pilot needs to operate at a faster tempo then his enemy…he must stay one or two steps ahead of his adversary: he must operate inside his adversary’s time scale.” John Boyd

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Creativity is just connecting things,” Steve Jobs

Henry Brown
    Participant

“… There’s absolutely no point in pouring resources into information security if no one takes any notice. All the money and technology in the world will not protect your sensitive data if the all-important human element goes unaddressed.” Christian Toon Head of Information Security at Iron Mountain Europe

Henry Brown
    Participant

“We Promise according to our hopes and perform according to our fears” Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Don’t wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel–stride down there and light the bloody thing yourself.” Dara Henderson

Profile photo of Jerry Schmidt
    Jerry Schmidt
    Participant

My first is one I use when there is a challenge thrown at me from a co-worker/family member: “Bring a friend, pack a lunch, we’ll make a day of it!” (Said in a mock-combative tone.)

“Badges? We don’t need no stinking badges!” – From “Treasure of The Sierra Madre”

“Do you feel lucky?/ A man’s got to know his limitations.” – both from Dirty Harry movies

I have no intention of letting you leave here as dumb as you were when you arrived.

It’s so much fun watching someone say “It can’t be done” get interrupted by someone doing it.

Work fascinates me. I can watch it for hours.

“Danger, Will Robinson! Danger”- Robot from Lost in Space

“Where’s the kaboom? There’s supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!” – Marvin the Martian

“Don’t make me angry. You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.” – Bruce Banner/The Hulk

“Don’t **** with eagles until you learn to fly.”

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Any person can invent a security system so clever that she or he can’t think of how to break it.” Bruce Schneier

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Being a professional is doing the things you love to do — even on the days you don’t feel like doing it.”
    – Julius Erving

Henry Brown
    Participant

“When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies” .. Don Quixote

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Online education is neither simple nor sinister”. John Thelin

Samuel Lovett
    Participant

“Ultimately, the only power to which man should aspire is that which he exercises over himself.” – Eli Wiesel

Henry Brown
    Participant

different way to get quotes here!

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind.” … newspaper columnist H.L. Mencken

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Everyone suffers at least one bad betrayal in their lifetime. It’s what unites us. The trick is not to let it destroy your trust in others when that happens. Don’t let them take that from you.” Sherrilyn Kenyon

Henry Brown
    Participant

“One thing I learned along the way is that you must deliver something before you deliver everything in order to be successful.” – Michael D. Peters

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Humility is a vitamin we should all consume everyday”..Eric Hampton blog

Profile photo of Janet Doucette
    Janet Doucette
    Participant

Your beliefs don’t make you a better person, your behavior does…

Samuel Lovett
    Participant

“I think I have learned that the best way to lift one’s self up is to help someone else.” – Booker T. Washington

Samuel Lovett
    Participant

“I’m not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.” – Michael Jordan

Samuel Lovett
    Participant

‎”A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd.” – James Crook

Samuel Lovett
    Participant

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” – Sun Tzu, from the Art of War

Samuel Lovett
    Participant

‎”I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there.” – Richard Feynman

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Let computers do what computers do best and teachers do what they do best.” Michael Horn

Henry Brown
    Participant

If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” (Ken Robinson)

Henry Brown
    Participant

“You’re only given one little spark of madness. You Mustn’t lose it” Robin Williams

Samuel Lovett
    Participant

“Doing the impossible is the history of this nation. It is how this country was built” – Michelle Obama

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Most People do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply” Stephen Covey

Henry Brown
    Participant

“To single out the institution as being solely responsible for student departure, as do many critics, is to deny an essential principle of effective education, namely that students must themselves become responsible for their own learning”. ( Vincent Tinto, 1994)

Henry Brown
    Participant

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt 1910

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

“People fail to get along because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don’t know each other; they don’t know each other because they have not communicated with each other.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The best feeling in the world is getting paid to do what you love” Angel Hack

Profile photo of Hannah Ornell
    Hannah Ornell
    Participant

“For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin – real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way. Something to be got through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.” ~Fr. Alfred D’Souza

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood” Marie Curie

Henry Brown
    Participant

“However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.” – George Washington’s Farewell Address, Sept. 17, 1796

Henry Brown
    Participant

“I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.” Mark Twain

Henry Brown
    Participant

“I can certainly attest to the idea that here, increasingly, work is not a place you go, but what you do.” Todd Watson a Career IBM employee

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Whoever told you real time was better? …When things are real time, it colonizes your mind. You have no time to think, you have no time to create, no time to strategize. All you are doing is reacting. Reacting is not marketing. That is one of the most important things to recognize.” Rishad Tobaccowala at AdExchange Conference in NYC from Gartner Bloger Andrew Frank

Henry Brown
    Participant

“I have a very modulated way of dealing with my anger. I have always tried to understand the other person and invariably I’ve discovered that somebody who rubs you the wrong way has been rubbed the wrong way many times.” – Fred Rogers

Henry Brown
    Participant

“People who have been in any type of environment for a little while know too much for their own good. It boxes them in. They know what’s not possible.” — David Marcus

Henry Brown
    Participant

“You get what you measure. Metrics change behaviors; that’s their value. Sharing those measurements so people know the value of your efforts is a best practice ” Forrester Blogger Edward Ferrara

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Mobile apps have the power to increase organizational agility…No matter where someone is in the world, they can manage their workflow around anything…” Roland Cloutier (VP, CSO, ADP)

Paul Alberti
    Participant

“The pursuit of excellence is gratifying and healthy. The pursuit of perfection is frustrting, neurotic, and a terrible waste of time.” Edwin Bliss

Henry Brown
    Participant

“We have actually regressed as a society when it comes to computer literacy and I would say half of the people writing about computers today do not know what they are talking about.” —John Dvorak at PCMag

Henry Brown
    Participant

“I long to accomplish some great & noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great & noble.” Helen Keller

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The Web is more a social creation than a technical one. I designed it for a social effect–to help people work together–and not as a technical toy” Sir Tim Berners-Lee

Henry Brown
    Participant

“We’re able to view just everything that they do. And that’s really where data is going today. Data is the new oil.” Bill Diggins Verizon Marketing Chief

Henry Brown
    Participant

“One person can make a difference, and everyone should try” John F. Kennedy

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The pollsters tell us what’s happening now. When they start projecting, they’re getting into silly land.” NYT columnist David Brooks

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Wisdom is not about knowing all the answers; it’s about asking the right questions ” Marcandangel.com

Henry Brown
    Participant

Rather long quote but…

… “People embrace change all the time: they relocate, they get married, they have children, they take on new jobs, they buy new things, and so on. As Tim Kastelle says, “The kind of change that people resist is the kind that makes them worse off.”

This suggests a natural route for change management: make changes only if they solve real problems, communicate how (and why) the problem is being solved, and (ideally) use solutions recommended by the people most directly impacted. If change originates on the shop floor, actually helps people, and isn’t some hammer of God coming down from above, it is far more likely to be embraced.Stephen Downes Blog

Henry Brown
    Participant

“If you ask amateurs to act as front-line security personnel, you shouldn’t be surprised when you get amateur security.” Bruce Schneier:

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Traditional teaching is like giving people thousands of rubber mallets and asking them to drill a hole through a mountain. We need nitroglycerine.” Michael Saylor

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” Mark Twain

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Education is an imprecise process, a dance, and a collaborative experience.” ~ Siva Vaidhyanathan

Henry Brown
    Participant

““Zombie ideas” are beliefs about policy that have been repeatedly refuted with evidence and analysis but refuse to die,” Paul Krugman in the NY Times:

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” Albert Einstein

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Everything flows and nothing stands still” Greek philosopher Heraclitus

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Art is our one true global language. It knows no nation, it favors no race, and it acknowledges no class… It transcends our ordinary lives and lets us imagine what is possible.” Richard Kamler:

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The problem here at the dawn of the Information Age is not that we have too much technology. It’s that we’ve trained each other to use it badly. If we want better communication, the first thing we have to do is communicate better. Then the technology and technology vendors will have to adapt to us.” : Jon Mitchell in an OPED piece in Readwrite

Profile photo of Ami Wazlawik
    Ami Wazlawik
    Participant

“We all do better when we all do better.” – Paul Wellstone

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.” Isaac Asimov

Henry Brown
    Participant

“I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something and I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do” Edward Everett Hale

Henry Brown
    Participant

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face” Eleanor Roosevelt

Henry Brown
    Participant

Henry Brown
    Participant

“If we teach today as we taught yesterday, we rob our children of tomorrow.” -John Dewey

Henry Brown
    Participant

“This deal proves that if we all procrastinate long and hard enough, we can semi-solve any self-inflicted problem at the very last minute in a way that satisfies no one,” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky)

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Wars do not make great men, but they do bring out the greatness in good men.” – Major Richard Winters

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity” — Martin Luther King

Profile photo of Jack Gates
    Jack Gates
    Participant

Facts are stubborn things;

and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion,

they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

– John Adams

“Don’t be so humble, you’re not that great.” – Golda Meir

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Many view social media as the new water cooler, All we’re doing is applying traditional rules to a new technology.” NLRB chair Mark G. Pearce. From the NY Times

Profile photo of Daniel Bevarly
    Daniel Bevarly
    Participant

Zealots often carry the day. – Bobby Ray Inman

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.” Author Unknown

Henry Brown
    Participant

“We here in the USA have forgotten how to have an intelligent argument. I don’t mean a marital spat, I refer to the process of deciding issues through informed argument, discussion, etc. Somehow, zealous advocacy has been replaced with over zealous absurdity.” Barry Ritholtz in the Big Picture Blog:

Henry Brown
    Participant

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you’re fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking… is freedom.” ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

Henry Brown
    Participant

“We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.” ~ Herman Melville

Profile photo of Alan L. Greenberg
    Alan L. Greenberg
    Participant

Early in my management career I made a dubious choice for chief of a newly established budget branch. It was a disaster. The chief became known as Houdini for the ways he made money disappear and reappear. My crusty old advisor and senior boss told me, “You can’t make an accountant out of a longshoreman.” He was right. This was a variation of another x-rated expression we’ve heard. Something about chicken salad.

Profile photo of Peter Sperry
    Peter Sperry
    Participant

Unless budgeting focuses first and foremost on allocating resources efficiently to achieve organizational bobjectives effectively, it is little more than bookkeeping. Unfortunately, too many executives look for accountants as budget chiefs. Exactly the wrong skill set for the job and the source of many organizational disasters.

Profile photo of Heath Anderson
    Heath Anderson
    Participant

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

- Mark Twain

Henry Brown
    Participant

‘Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.’ ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Science becomes dangerous only when it imagines that it has reached its goal”. George Bernard Shaw

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Remember, Facebook isn’t a platform for you to use — you are a platform for Facebook to use” Mathew Ingram

Henry Brown
    Participant

“it means all enterprise technology in a data center is obsolete. AWS’ move points to the shift in the market and the higher value on services that leverage the cloud as opposed to significant investments in new and existing infrastructure.”
    Scott Sandell on Techcrunch.com

Henry Brown
    Participant

Never waste your time explaining yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you. From Twitter: ~dream hampton”

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.” Voltaire

Henry Brown
    Participant

‘If you’re going through hell, keep going.’ ~Winston Churchill

Profile photo of Deb Dyar
    Deb Dyar
    Participant

It is never to late to be what you might have been – Elliot

And what manner of nitwittery is about to plague me on the morrow?! – Wiley

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. – Yoda

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you’ll understand what little chance you have in trying to change others. ” Jacob M. Braude

Henry Brown
    Participant

“It was hard for me to imagine that we could inspire high performance with no employee engagement.” Douglas Conant in an article in Working Knowledge from Harvard Business School

Henry Brown
    Participant

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” Anaïs Nin

Henry Brown
    Participant

Whenever you want to achieve something, keep your eyes open, concentrate and make sure you know exactly what it is you want. No one can hit their target with their eyes closed.” Paulo Coelho

Henry Brown
    Participant

“What is the difference between an obstacle and an opportunity? Our attitude toward it. Every opportunity has a difficulty, and every difficulty has an opportunity.” J. Sidlow Baxter

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those that speak it” George Orwell

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.” Ann Landers

Henry Brown
    Participant

After the fiasco during the past 7 days in Boston this might be somewhat of an appropriate quote…

“CIVILISATION is not to be judged by the rapidity of communication, but by the value of what is communicated.” ~G.K. Chesterton:

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Change is the only evidence of life.” Evelyn Waugh

Henry Brown
    Participant

From SC magazine:
    “Some companies still shy away from BYOD, and this could end up hurting them. Rather than dodging employee requests, security practitioners should be flexible and agile.” Barry Coatesworth, information security officer at retail website NewLook.com

Henry Brown
    Participant

“lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas” numerous quotes

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The highest type of ruler is one of whose existence the people are barely aware…. The Sage is self-effacing and scanty of words. When his task is accomplished and things have been completed, all the people say, ‘We ourselves have achieved it!'” Lao-Tzu wrote in the fifth-century BC

Henry Brown
    Participant

“If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of Congress?” ~ Will Rogers

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Scheduled performance appraisals put off focusing on measurable results until performance appraisal time. It’s event-based and keeps us from driving towards clear and measurable results on an ongoing basis. Performance appraisals leave room for subjective, not objective conversations. There is nothing agile or nimble about performance appraisals. Setting goals for a year out and expecting they will be relevant at the end of that time is ludicrous and a waste of time.” Jody Thompson of ROWE

Henry Brown
    Participant

From Nick Foster‘s blog

We are undoubtedly in the Wild West era of 3D printing, but I think it’s right and proper that we question a system where an individual can make significant income from the sale of a part and have utterly no responsibility for the safety of the person buying it, or accountability for quality or environmental impact.

Profile photo of Andy Green
    Andy Green
    Participant

“Real Success, does not depend upon the position you hold, but upon how you carry yourself in that position.” – Theodore Roosevelt

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Ignoring the performance of people is almost as bad as shredding their effort in front of their eyes.” Dan Ariely

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Openness always wins.” Facebook’s Frank Frankovsky at Interop conference

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts.” ~ Albert Einstein

Henry Brown
    Participant

From the Harvard Business Review Blog: discussing the buyout of Tumblr by Yahoo

“Consumers have two choices: Exit and go elsewhere with their support or dollars, or use the power of voice to generate change from within. These two choices are mediated, by members’ loyalty to the institution. Loyalty makes people more likely to stay and work for change from inside. But loyalty is also a product of how effective a consumer’s voice is likely to be; it does not stem from feeling locked-in or having no possibility of exit.” Albert Hirschman

Henry Brown
    Participant

“We migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an operating system that was stable and reliable – one that would give us in-house control. So if we needed to patch, adjust or adapt, we could.” -Keith Chuvala of United Space Alliance

Henry Brown
    Participant
    Henry Brown
    Participant

“When people feel uncertain, they’d rather have somebody that’s strong and wrong than somebody who’s weak and right.” Bill Clinton

Henry Brown
    Participant

“HR will be relentlessly supporting 100% autonomy and 100% accountability for the employee populations they work with. In addition, HR professionals will be banding together to push policy change on the federal level that better reflects how we are approaching work in the 21st century.” — Cali Ressler, of ROWE

Henry Brown
    Participant

The social network wars are over. The winner: email! With every new social network and social service, with every new instant and not-so-instant way to communicate, email rises in importance. The reason is that with everybody choosing a different communications medium, email is increasingly the only one we all have in common. It’s the glue that holds the social Web together. Mike Elgan on Computerworld

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Sure, it might be what you’ve always done. But that doesn’t make it true, or right, or best. It just means that you already tried it.” Seth Godin

Henry Brown
    Participant
    Henry Brown
    Participant

Employees don’t leave companies. They leave managers.” from Cali Ressler and Jody Thompson new book How to get Employees to Manage Themselves

Henry Brown
    Participant

” In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act “. ~ George Orwell

Henry Brown
    Participant

In discussing some of the NSA leaks by Mr,. Snowden

“I can’t imagine there’s great harm to national security from these rules being out, if this helps us learn more about what the government’s doing, that’s probably a good thing.” William Banks in the NY Times

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Technology is disruptive” Bruce Schneier Open line on 1 Hour YouTube Video Titled Security and Power
    “Facebook is NSA’s wet dream” ~ 24 minute of said video

Henry Brown
    Participant

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.” Roy Amara

Henry Brown
    Participant

“There is nothing that is more harmful to civil liberties than terrorism. This discussion here has been quite sterile because we have not been talking about terrorism.” Rachel Brand a board member of the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board From the Guardian (Guess DOD and DHS employees will just have to take my word for it)

Profile photo of Brandi R. Bernal
    Brandi R. Bernal
    Participant

Power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.

- Margaret Thatcher

Henry Brown
    Participant

“People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be.” ―Abraham Lincoln

Henry Brown
    Participant

“This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer.” ~ Will Rogers from Quotationpages.com

Henry Brown
    Participant

“You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never truly live if you are forever looking for the meaning of life.” – Albert Camus

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The skill of management is to achieve your objectives through the efforts of others.” Harold Geneen

Henry Brown
    Participant

“If you never want to be criticized, for goodness’ sake don’t do anything new.” Jeff Bezos in an interview in/on the Motley Fool (read the article for 19 moreGems“)

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

+1

Henry Brown
    Participant

“servant leadership” — meaning leaders are called to serve, not order people around. Tim Elkins CIO at Prime Lending

Henry Brown
    Participant

“In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” ~ George Orwell

Henry Brown
    Participant

“As workplace flexibility and virtual teams become the norm for getting things done, managers, team leaders, and executives will need to improve their skills and broaden their expectations,”

Tracy Haugen

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position but Certainty is an absurd one “voltaire” from Good Reads:

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Henry Brown
    Participant

Henry Brown
    Participant

“If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There’s no point in being a damn fool about it.” ~ WC Fields

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Sci-fi writer Arthur C. Clarke

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Most of the things we avoid are avoided because we’re afraid of being afraid.” Seth Godin

Henry Brown
    Participant

“In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself.” James Madison

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter, they are an entire banquet.” ~ Mark Twain

Paul Alberti
    Participant

If there is no chance for failure, there is no chance for success. Darren Hardy Success Magazine

Henry Brown
    Participant

“All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.” ~ George Orwell

Henry Brown
    Participant

“So…..once again, we are going to save money through consolidation no matter how much it costs.” DoD spokesman From NextGov:

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

Life’s too short to not do awesome things

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Productivity is being able to do things that you were never able to do before.” – Franz Kafka

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Cutting libraries in a recession is like cutting hospitals in a plague.” Eleanor Crumblehulme

Henry Brown
    Participant

“The more time you spend understanding the problem, the less time you’ll need to spend solving it”. Orin Thomas

Henry Brown
    Participant

“True sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.” Albert Einstein

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Reasonable man adapts himself to world/unreasonable one adapts world to himself. Progress depends on unreasonable man.” George Bernard Shaw

Henry Brown
    Participant

“To save man from the morass of propaganda… Education must enable one to sift and weigh evidence, to discern the true from the false, the real from the unreal, and the facts from the fiction…; [and] to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. But education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society.” Dr Martin Luther King

Henry Brown
    Participant

“I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.” Bill Gates

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

“I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.” -

Henry Brown
    Participant

“obscurity means insecurity.” Bruce Schneier

Henry Brown
    Participant
    Henry Brown
    Participant

“The safe way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket.” -Frank McKinney Hubbard from the Big Picture blog by Barry Ritholtz

Henry Brown
    Participant

I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.” Clarence Darrow

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

Too little process and you can’t get good work done. Too much process and you can’t get any work done. Most companies never find the middle.

Henry Brown
    Participant

Although rather long probably could use some additional distribution

From Krebs on Security blog :
    “We see a great deal of hand-waving and public discussion about the possibility that foreign cyber attackers may one day use vulnerabilities in our critical infrastructure to cause widespread problems in the United States. But my bet is that if this ever happens in a way that causes death and/or significant destruction, it will not be the result of a carefully-planned and executed cyber warfare manifesto, but rather the work of some moderately skilled and bored cracker who discovered that he could do it. ” Brian Krebs

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.” Robert J. Hanlon amongst others

Profile photo of Juana Williams
    Juana Williams
    Participant

“The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.” –John F. Kennedy

Henry Brown
    Participant

“Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think.”
    Albert Einstein

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.