How Do Agencies Deal With Turf Wars?

Home Forums Miscellaneous How Do Agencies Deal With Turf Wars?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Andrew Krzmarzick Andrew Krzmarzick 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Hannah Ornell
    Participant

I have a question from a GovLoop member that I’m hoping you can weigh in on. This member said his biggest challenge at work is getting two agencies with the same or similar mission to work together. His particular example is about army agencies, though I think his challenge can apply to other fields.

For example, I’m interested in working for the federal government in an agency related to the environment/conservation/sustainability. In my job search, I’m finding that there are so many more departments and agencies that work in these areas: Fish and Wildlife Service, General Services Administration, Environmental Protection Agency, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Forest Service… the list goes on. Do these step on each others’ toes? How do they work together to get information?

Do you have examples of how your agency works with other agencies that have similar missions?

One group that I like to cite is the Interagency Network of Enterprise Assistance Providers (INEAP):

http://www.nist.gov/ineap/

What’s great about this group is that they also connect federal agencies to state and local governmental entities to solve regional challenges. Check ‘em out.

Hannah Ornell
    Participant

Andy, this is a perfect example! Here’s a quote from their site that sums up their collaboration to help out small businesses:

“INEAP was created to foster collaboration among the sometimes-viewed-as-disparate federal agencies and other entities tasked with improving the competiveness of US-based small business.”

Are there equivalent organizations for other areas like education, health care, energy?

Alan L. Greenberg
    Participant

A wise early boss of mine once said “Where you sit is where you stand.” What you are saying about working together (or in some cases, not together, sounds a bit like our Congress.

Seriously though, of the agencies you cite, EPA is regulatory, The others are operational but which must comply with EPA guidelines. I don’t believe they “step on each others toes.” It is more likely that they complement each other.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

http://www.thegovernmentman.com

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Three words for gov agencies: Memorandom of Understanding — or MoU.

Hannah Ornell
    Participant

Good point, David. I actually just filled out my first one of these last week with an non-profit I’ll be consulting for. I didn’t realize that they are a common practice in government too. I appreciate the input.

Hannah Ornell
    Participant

That’s a good distinction to make, thank you Alan.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.