Hurricane Sandy Links & Phone #s? (Updated)

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service Hurricane Sandy Links & Phone #s? (Updated)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GovLoop GovLoop 2 years ago.

• Author

Anyone have quick info to share? I am putting together an internal communication and would like to include local info that could be helpful. Thanks.

3:30 p.m. 10/28: Click here to see what’s up so far (information not guaranteed) or review basic info below.

3:11 p.m. 10/29: Still looking for information on local shelters in addition to Red Cross.

Status Updates

General
    Social Media
    • DC-Specific updates (Twitter): Click here (Hashtag: #dcsandy)
    • Various government updates (Twitter – hat tip to Joseph Porcelli): Click here
    • Facebook group
    The Google Crisis Map has comprehensive links to information including where to find shelter.
    See also:

State & Local
    Power
    Internet, Cable, Phone Customer Care
    Phone Numbers
    • Emergency, including rising water that threatens your safety: Call 911
    • Power
      • Power Outage – Pepco: 1-877-737-2662
      • Downed wires – Pepco: 202-872-3432 (TTY: 202-872-2369); outage map
    • Damp walls or floors: Water removal or restoration company
    • Phone, Cable, Internet

• RCN: 1-800-RING-RCN (1-800-746-4726)
      • Cox: 703-378-8422
      • Verizon: 1-800-837-4966
      • Direct TV: 1-800-531-5000
      • Dish Network: 1-800-333-3474
    DC only
    • Need Help – Non-Emergency: 202-727-1010 or 202-364-3961
    • Water & sewer emergency (such as flooding) or clogged storm drains: 202-612-3400
    • Tree Down: Call 311 or visit 311.dc.gov
    VA only
    • Tree removal (Fairfax County):
      • Hazard to public areas: 703-324-1770, TTY 703-324-1877
      • Adjacent to public road: 1-800-FOR-ROAD, TTY 711
      • On county parkland 703-324-8594, TTY 703-324-3988
      • Private property: Call your property insurance company (owner’s responsibility)

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

OPM operating status – http://www.opm.gov/status/index.aspx

FEMA – ready.gov

Thanks. Especially looking for phone numbers, radio stations, alternative access if no power.

Also Twitter hash tags.

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

List of Twitter gov sources – https://twitter.com/josephporcelli/hurricane-sandy

They are expecting extremely high winds in our area.

The Google Crisis Map has comprehensive links to information including where to find shelter.

(The shelter map information comes from the Red Cross and is sortable.)

Profile photo of Jeff S
    Jeff S
    Participant

OPM.gov

Profile photo of Elizabeth Hoffman
    Elizabeth Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Dannielle! Yes there are a lot of resources that can help local governments prepare for Hurricane Sandy.

PublicStuff, the same software company that built Philadelphia’s successful 311 mobile app, Philly311, is donating its service request system and encouraging residents in affected communities to download the app to report service request issues following the storm. Residents will be able to use their mobile phones to report issues, regardless of their wireless provider via text at 617-500-3111 and toll free number at 888-491-3119, or through the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Blackberry and Android PublicStuff applications. To download the PublicStuff app, visit http://www.publicstuff.com/mobile.
    More details regarding the donation of the service request system may be found at http://www.publicstuff.com/media. Hope that helps!

Hi Elizabeth – thanks! I’m trying it out now.

OK that’s pretty cool. I downloaded the app to my iPhone and it worked without setting up an account. Strangely you seem to have to be in DC for it to fully work though. Maybe that’s just me.

Where do those phone numbers go to, when you call?

Profile photo of Elizabeth Hoffman
    Elizabeth Hoffman
    Participant

Thanks Dannielle!

You can actually change your setting to correspond to the city that you’re in. To do this, go to “My Stuff” and click the little circle wheel at the top right hand corner of the screen. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and you’ll be able to change your “current default city” to the one you’re in and want to report issues to.

When you submit a request via SMS text and the phone number, the request is automatically populated in the service request database and sent directly to the city you’re reporting the issue to. Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Profile photo of B Alexander
    B Alexander
    Participant

This is a great resource. Thank you for posting this!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.