Open Gov Plans: Cheers and Jeers – Share Yours Here!

Home Forums Technology Open Gov Plans: Cheers and Jeers – Share Yours Here!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Adriel Hampton Adriel Hampton 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Happy Open Gov Day!

Today, government agencies are unveiling their Open Gov Plans.
    Many of you are going to be reviewing and responding to them in the coming days and weeks. Others will be implementing them.
    So let’s talk about them – the good, the bad and the ugly. Cheers and jeers.
    Based on what you’re seeing, what you do you think?
    What do you like about them?
    What are the prevalent themes across the plans?
    What is missing?
    What could have been done better?
    Have your say!
    RELATED BLOGS
    As you add other posts, we’ll update this list.
    RELATED GROUPS
    Adriel Hampton
    Participant

That logo has harshed my mellow.

Barry Everett
    Participant

For those scrambling to complete, post, text, etc., a collective “Whewwwwwwww….” Now for a nap… ;-)

EPA Open Government PlanRead it and discuss it…

Matt Zuby
    Participant

What happened to information about the persistent cookie policy? I thought that was coming out today as well…

GovLoop
    Keymaster

Was the OMB social media change but don’t think it included persistent cookies.

GovLoop
    Keymaster

Wow…lots of reading there. Just started with Commerce which seemed pretty solid.

Megan
    Participant

I like them so far, they are fun to read, especially the “flagships initiatives”: http://www.whitehouse.gov/open/documents/flagship-initiatives.

I was a prolific “idea poster”, and I see seeds of some of my ideas (along with many others) scattered throughout. I gather the plans will be viewed as “living documents” with plenty of opportunity to weigh in with our proposed changes and enhancements..

Very cool!

Barry Everett
    Participant

On April 7, 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency published the Open Government Plan, an Innovation Timeline, and started a Forum Blog for Public Discussion. In a flurry of activity, following months of preparation and planning, the EPA completed the latest milestone of the Open Government Directive, and then some. But this is not the end of the story, only the beginning of a new level of ongoing public engagement.

Henry Brown
    Participant

OPM has joined the “club” http://www.opm.gov/open/ which includes links to their “blog” and “the plan” .

Have also posted same in the forum discussion OPM and Open Government plus a short word document titled Open Government Fact Sheet

SteveWonder
    Participant

Need more transparency/openess in county/township/city governments across America.
    Also at DOD and Law Enforcement/police agencies–entities notorious for secrecy, inhouse corruption, “no remorse” responses for overtly criminal, lower level/administrative procedural mistakes.

Open source tools are sometimes the most valuable. Everything can be found with just a little patience and know-how.

Nancy Sternberg
    Participant

SBA’s Open Government Plan establishes our agency’s roadmap for moving forward to create and institutionalize a culture of Open Government. The many items described in this plan will be prioritized and sub-plans to implement them will be constructed. The public is encouraged to comment on the plan and the milestones identified or offer suggestions for other transparency, participation, and collaboration opportunities. Comments can be sent to opengov@sba.gov.

Craig Thomler
    Participant

Brilliant set of releases – will take me a while to read through them.

How do US agencies find the time to write these plans? Resourcing is the main issue I’ve found in doing any type of strategic direction setting work for web.

Megan
    Participant

Here is a link to upcoming @OpenGovWest Meetups, focused on those issues on the West Coast: http://www.eventbrite.com/org/13326638?s=1719544

Here is a link to the OGW Wiki. Time for an OpenGovNorth, South, East and Central for State and Local Gov’t Across the Country?

http://ogw.wikispaces.com/

Kitty Wooley
    Participant

Andy, I went to the Socrata site and saw everything – wow! I would have rated it 5 stars, but Socrata was not liking my GovLoop username and password. So, here’s the comment I was going to leave there:

Very convenient aggregation of Open Gov Plans & Related Links

Just curious about the internal communications folks have received. Has anyone who works for one of these agencies received official notification about either the open window for idea-generating that closed March 19th, or the agency’s April 7th plan submission?

Henry Brown
    Participant

@ Kitty OPM not only discussed the idea-generating plan at least 2 of our ~monthly town meetings but sent at least 2 emails to ALL specifically discussing the idea-generating plan. The Open Gov Plan probably fell just a bit under the radar, although it was discussed, as I recall, at least 1 “all hands”. And if the plan(s) had this much exposure to me sitting ~1000 miles outside of the beltway, suspect that there probably was a whole lot more information exchange going on inside the beltway.

Kitty Wooley
    Participant

Actually, Henry, I haven’t heard about much information exchange about this inside the cabinet agencies’ headquarters offices, and I would have expected to by now, which is why I’m putting the question out there. The bleeding edge Gov 2.0 early adopters and most federal webmasters and communications shops seem up on it, and the FOIA chiefs, and a few community builders who’ve seen the potential in social media. However, so far the particulars of Open Gov are news to most people I talk to, inside and outside government. Awareness seems very uneven within government, just as it is in the country at large. Encouraging that you got the word there via OPM. Thanks for commenting!

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

Open Gov a solid mission, will purge much ill-conceived spendings, especially those masquerading as minor investments. Leaders resorted to chicaneries mostly owing to lack of technical expertise and congenial vision for future. Now Open Gov is forcing all those crap out in the open. Especially the “IT Dashboard”. Although a great start, data needs to get really “real”.

Also, need one site (like Open Gov Plan) collection for :
    Department / Agency’s Strategic 5yr Plan,
    OCIO 5 Yr Plan
    Secretary / Under-secratary Strategic Initiatives List
    OCIO Strategic Initiatives List
    Enterprise Transition Plan and Roadmap

Without all these IT Dashboard cannot demonstrate Line of Sight.

These at many agencies do not exists.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.