Top 10 Overused Buzzwords on LinkedIn

Home Forums Careers Top 10 Overused Buzzwords on LinkedIn

This topic contains 24 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stewart F Gwyn Stewart F Gwyn 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Ami Wazlawik
    Ami Wazlawik
    Participant

From the LinkedIn blog, an interesting post on the Top 10 overused buzzwords in LinkedIn profiles.

The Top 10 overused buzzwords in the U.S. include:

1. Creative
    2. Organizational
    3. Effective
    4. Motivated
    5. Extensive Experience
    6. Track Record
    7. Innovative
    8. Responsible
    9. Analytical
    10. Problem Solving

What other buzzwords do you think are overused on LinkedIn and in resumes/cover letters?

Profile photo of Stewart F Gwyn
    Stewart F Gwyn
    Participant

soft skills, as in does s/he possess these? Seems you have to meet or greet these over a lunch/meeting to sense depth. We are asserted to set these out there with our hard skills. These soft skills seem to rule. My soft skills being (partial list) etiquette, consentience, and consciousness to perform duties. Some have different meanings to “soft skills” or preference to area one wants to invest in their soft skill.

Profile photo of Steve Cottle
    Steve Cottle
    Participant

I’d probably add that it seems like “proven” is overused and “strategic” is misused.

Profile photo of Anne Mira Guha
    Anne Mira Guha
    Participant

These are used quite a lot, but if these “buzz words” are also used in a majority of job listings (as they seem to be), then isn’t their use in your profile/resume/CV/cover letter just a part of tailoring to a position or mirroring a position description, like one is often advised to do?

Profile photo of Barbara Moskowitz
    Barbara Moskowitz
    Participant

Because words are commonly used, it doesn’t necessarily follow that they are “overused.” Changing words just for the sake of being different often leads to strange word choices that simply confuse the reader.

Profile photo of Alice Tsai
    Alice Tsai
    Participant

Interesting, but these look a lot like key words on Fed PD that are recommended to include in the corresponding federal résumé….

Profile photo of John Dittmer
    John Dittmer
    Participant

What I thik is being overused on LinkedIn is the new endorsement feature. I’m getting people I never met endorsing me in the hope that I’ll endorse them back. To make it mean something, I’ll only endorsed people that I actuall know.

LinkedIn lost a huge opportunity with this blog entry, proving that they’re just as lazily opportunistic as those who they indirectly mock for using the alleged buzzwords. Everyone loves a top 10 list at the end of the year, and LinkedIn needed one, too.

The point of the frequency of use of these very generic words is not that they’re buzzwords, but that they’re clearly important to our time. How do you stand out, when you are, in fact, creative or motivated or analytical or good at solving problems, and everyone else wants to say they are, too? You show, don’t tell.

Give concrete examples, tell a story, check out options like Deck Out Your Resume, check out the article FastCo: The New Science Of Resumes–And Why Yours Sinks To The Bottom Of The Pile, and otherwise PROVE that you’re these things. Don’t just say it. The art of the storytelling is difficult, but worth the investment.

Profile photo of Jon Kennedy
    Jon Kennedy
    Participant

Good point. I often find that the only thing “overused” is the online Thesaurus. Folks tend to use a word that is rarely used for the sake of not using the word more commonly known…kinda stupid. And there always seems to be a sesquipedalian in the room…

Profile photo of Andrea Schneider
    Andrea Schneider
    Participant

Thanks for the references.

Profile photo of Andrea Schneider
    Andrea Schneider
    Participant

Buzz words seem to cycle through each year. These words have real meaning if understood as action or methods. It’s a shame when they are used randomly without any “meat”. Can make extraordinary, very ordinary.

Profile photo of Virginia Carlson
    Virginia Carlson
    Participant

So …. if we want to make it past the Taleo keyword system, we must use words that are in the job description. So if those words happen to be “innovative” and “motivated” and “effective” — then we have to use them. Therefore, I blame Taleo.

Reply to Stewart F Gwyn

You wrote, “We are asserted to set these out…”

Did you mean “we are encouraged to set these out…”?

Profile photo of Stewart F Gwyn
    Stewart F Gwyn
    Participant

sure, encouraged! underlined and stressed.

Profile photo of Don Duggins
    Don Duggins
    Participant

What I find most interesting in the “interesting post” is the graphic that associates a top word with a particular country. It suggests to me that a common term is a byproduct of the culture.

Profile photo of Pamela McLeod
    Pamela McLeod
    Participant

Just because they are used frequently does not make them “over used” and being used frequently or even “over used” does not make them buzz words. Several of these are clear concise descriptors of competencies that are required for some jobs. Trying to come up with a contrived alternative makes no sense. I echo Kerry Ann.

Profile photo of Erik G Eitel
    Erik G Eitel
    Participant

Agreed!! Endorsing someone on LinkedIn is becoming just about as valuable as clicking the “like” button on Facebook. I think that’s largely due to the fact that they suggest people to endorse right when you sign on. Hopefully that changes soon.

Profile photo of Erik G Eitel
    Erik G Eitel
    Participant

I think this is the biggest part of this discussion. The systems that are used to pick up on key words are to blame. If you’re not using these “overused” keywords then chances are your profile and resume won’t stand out to right people through search.

Profile photo of Marlene Q. F. Young
    Marlene Q. F. Young
    Participant

I agree that we should strive to use exact words to communicate. “Overarching goals” “best practice” are overused. Also, is “uptick” (sp?) a real word?

Profile photo of Eric Erickson
    Eric Erickson
    Participant

The fact that LinkedIn releases a report about words that are used a lot on their site does not make those terms ‘buzz words’ or ‘overused,’ it just means there is an employee at LinkedIn who is crunching the numbers to justify their worth in the office. To me, a ‘buzz word’ is a $100 term that could easily be replaced by an everyday term. Buzz words are words people use to make them seem smarter or more qualified.

For instance, I cannot think of a better way to say ‘Creative.’ If someone is truly creative, they can clearly say that by just using that word. If instead, they used: Inventive, Ingenious, Innovative, Leading-edge, Originative or Visionary…then I think they are using buzzwords.

There are many people — including myself — who are ‘creative.’ On the other hand, not many people — including myself — are truly visionary.

Great, had to bust out my thesaurus to look up sesquipedalian. My issue is the overuse of utilize instead of use. Then in writing classes they tell you not to overuse any specific word but to use similar words that mean the same so the text does not get too repetitive. But, if you are trying to do a resume/profile/cover letter, as Anne stated, you do have to use the buzz words in the announcement or position description.

English is a living language and if “uptick” is used enough it becomes real. That is why Ginormous is now used regularly since Elf came out.

But that’s in writing classes, which are usually geared towards writing fiction.

Better to follow what you learn in a business writing class, or even better, a journalism class. And consider the Plain Talk principles of using short words over longer, multi-syllable words. (Sesquipedalian, my foot!)

I like George Orwell’s rules on writing, from “Politics and the English Language” (esp. #6)

1. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

2. Never use a long word where a short one will do.

3. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

4. Never use the passive where you can use the active.

5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

6. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

Profile photo of Marlene Q. F. Young
    Marlene Q. F. Young
    Participant

I understand that English is a living language, but Ginormous and uptick? When it is first used on radio/television, it becomes legitimate. Other comments have indicated that we use words like utilize and use in the same document as we have been taught not to repeat words too often in piece of writing. True. Also, the newest edition of Strunk & White includes changes to spelling of words that weren’t “OK” before. I have commented probably because of the English major background. Why is this so interesting? (rhetorical or not).

Profile photo of David B. Grinberg
    David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Steve: can you kindly elaborate on how “strategic is misused”? Interested in your thoughts on this. Thanks.

DBG

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.