What Were The Top 10 Gov Moments of 2010?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What Were The Top 10 Gov Moments of 2010?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GovLoop GovLoop 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

As we look back on the year 2010 – which many commentators will be doing in the next couple weeks – what stood out for you?

Where did government get it right? It could be technological advancements or something for more mundane. Heck – maybe it’s just a moment on the job where you crushed it!

Let’s see if we can crowd-source a concrete list. Here are three for me:

1 – Chilean Miner Rescue Rivals Moon Mission: What an amazingly well-coordinated effort by Chile’s government. We were so impressed on GovLoop that we decided to blog about it on the Huffington Post, highlighting the ways in which NASA helped out.

2. Telework Takes Big Step Forward: Last week’s signing of the Telework Enhancement Act by President Obama signified another move in the right direction. It’s time that government focused more on the “what needs to get done by when” vs. the “how and where it happens.”

3. Coast Guard Commendable in Cleaning Up Oil Spill: BP may not have handled the crisis effectively, but I was impressed and bit more confident that were going to get the situation under control every time Admiral Thad Allen appeared to explain the circumstances. Also, I think RestoretheGulf.gov should be considered an award-winning website.

What are yours? Can’t wait to see what we come up with together…

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

1- Snowmaggedon for federal folks
    2 – Federal pay freeze and S/L layoffs/furloughs
    3 – Release of OpenGov plans & /open pages
    4 – Challenge.gov

Profile photo of Nichole Henley
    Nichole Henley
    Participant

The first NextGenGov Summit! That was such an incredible opportunity to meet peeps with the same passion for government.

Profile photo of Scott Rose
    Scott Rose
    Participant

Not to toot my own horn but:

Deployment of DNSSEC at the root zone: Dept of Commerce, ICANN and VeriSign worked together to deploy the DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC) to the global root zone. One of the biggest changes to Internet infrastructure in 20 years:

http://www.root-dnssec.org/

Agreed, Em – that was a great moment!

Very cool…that was quite a first…and can’t wait to see what the future holds for that event. (We already have one of the keynotes locked in ;-)

How could I forget Snowmageddon!? That was one of the better moments of the year – driving up and back really fast in between blasts.

Profile photo of Nicholas Charney
    Nicholas Charney
    Participant

Word on the street was that a certain Canadian came to DC for ngg10 and crushed it pretty hard. Not sure who that could be…

Profile photo of Peter Sperry
    Peter Sperry
    Participant

Let’s not forget the triumph of democracy which takes place every 2nd November (and annually in some jurisdictions). Regardless of how you feel about the results, the ability of the people to choose their government leaders is a rare and valuable treasure.

Profile photo of Curt Canada
    Curt Canada
    Participant

Mayor Fenty accomplished much in terms of the physical plant of Washington DC but came up short

in terms of overall emotional intelligence city-wide.

Profile photo of Megan
    Megan
    Participant

Gov 2.0 LA 2010 – the first West Coast “uncamp” and my first “uncamp” experience. Very cool venue, very cool peeps,and plenty of fireworks internally from folks who didn’t understand what an “uncamp” was or why I wanted to spend my weekend working! :-)

It’s happening again next year..get your ideas in now! Gov 2.0 LA 2011 Bubbleideas

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

The Hair of Charney…

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

I agree. I found that fascinating – he accomplished so much on better governing but failed in understanding emotion of the city.

Profile photo of Candi Harrison
    Candi Harrison
    Participant

Passage of the Plain Language Act! If it’s implemented properly, it could have a huge impact on the quality of customer service.

Profile photo of Candace Riddle
    Candace Riddle
    Participant

FIRST EVER GOVLOOPER TO LAND A JOB FROM GOVLOOP NETWORKING!!! (or so I’m told) – Shout out to Sterling Whitehead for setting up the YAP Mentor Program, which introduced me to Tina M. Borger, CPPO…my AWESOME mentor…and NOW BOSS!

Profile photo of Scott Horvath
    Scott Horvath
    Participant

There are many moments in history where an event, whether it’s good or bad, becomes the catalyst for something much bigger which transforms the way the Government operates. In the past year, there’s been two of them…Snowmageddon and WikiLeaks. Both will transform the way employees work day-by-day. Both will prompt for an increase in new technologies. Two events that have similar effects, but are completely different in what it will mean down the road. Ten years from now, as we look back at the events that have reshaped Government history, these two will be only two of the many.

Profile photo of Jane Zimmerman
    Jane Zimmerman
    Participant

Haiti earthquake response

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

Awesome Candace!

Profile photo of GovLoop
    GovLoop
    Keymaster

Indeed…that was huge

Profile photo of Steve Lunceford
    Steve Lunceford
    Participant

Here’s my list for social in fed space: GovTwit’s 10 top #gov20 stories for 2010 http://ow.ly/3rFwb

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.