Ruth A Harper
Participant

My Name is Ruth Harper and I started for the Federal Government when I was in my early 20's in the 1960's, when I worked several months for the US Geological Survey in Denver. I then quit because I wanted to work part time because I had just gotten married and were planning on a family. I went back when my daughter was in school because the leave issues were flexible and I could take off whenever I needed to take care of her when she was sick. I got the idea of the government from my mother who had various jobs, mostly with the military. I started out working for the Department of Defense and worked for a little over a year when I searched for a transfer and ultimately got a job at the Department of Veterans Affairs. I really liked my job so I stayed there until I retired in 2004. I worked as an Administrative Support person for all those years. Now I am sort of working for the government as a volunteer through RSVP and Senior Corp. I am assisting seniors in the MSP program and I am also a tutor/mentor for 1st and second graders who have reading problems. I think the government is one of the best decisions I made, because I am on government retirement and I am making more money on my retirement than most of the people here, and I manage to keep my head above water.