Midori Raymore
Participant

My most captivating boss was Gerard Baker while he served as Superintendent at Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail. He was a solid personable human being whose stories are awesome and I love him for his character and warmth. He didn’t micro managed which I really appreciated that he valued the strength of his people and didn’t stand in their way. I tend to grind my teeth more when working under micro management. Another great boss was my direct supervisor at Lewis and Clark NHT – he was one of the most supportive people I’ve ever had and was able to give me good advice about how to stay out of trouble and when it came, how to stay on top so I wasn’t the one to burn. Those are important skills to understand. My next best boss was Vickie Veeder at the Forest Service – yes she was 200 miles away but she still was a good boss. She’s been a great mentor for me about working in the federal government when you switch agencies and has become a great cheer leader. I can ask her for feedback and know I’ll have an honest answer. But I would also like to point out that sometimes a ‘worst’ boss can also be a great example. They teach us what we don’t like and give us perspectives about what doesn’t work well. I’ve had a few of those too. I don’t like micro managers who are mindless in their micro managing. When some one comes in, micros for a while and then steps back when trust is established, that’s a good micro manager. I don’t like non-communicators or those who say something to appease and then come out via email or in another fashion with a totally different stand. That smacks of dishonesty. It leads one to feel there are double standards or deliberate miscommunication. It can be a real morale issue. So, I take good and bad leaders both as a way to learn and to grow.