Christa M. Miller
Participant

“We have gotten lazy and have programs that waste BILLION$. Let’s start by taking a serious look at where we can streamline programs, eliminate waste and completely cut stupid spending. And if we suggest that there is not BILLIONS of dollars of the latter, we are not being truthful.”

To do that you have to start with the people signing the programs into law. Another overly simplistic response would be to cut earmarks. But that doesn’t really begin to address the “bubble” most politicians live within, the one that makes them completely out of touch with the rest of our reality.

(I think this is the reason why Obama instills so much hope in so many “regular” people. He hasn’t been in DC long enough to fall under sway of that bubble. I know, I know. He comes from Chicago where corrupt politics is par for the course. But that’s not how most people see him.)

Also, much of the responsibility rests with “regular” people themselves, who don’t think they have much of a say in what goes on in DC and so they don’t even try. Granted, this may have to do with lack of understanding of our political system (I remember getting a ton of mixed messages about it in school) and the perception, again, of that bubble — making the whole thing a vicious circle. I think it also has to do with the power of special interests (another thing that should be eliminated).

In any case, not trying means not letter-writing/calling, not signing petitions, and most importantly, not voting. In all, most people are working too hard trying to make ends meet to worry about the political system and whether it’s broken. To them, people are still in power. So the system must still be working. So they have no reason to change it. I think that’s what scares me more than the debt.