Allen Sheaprd
Participant

Brandy,

HI. Thank you. The mass dialing machines are very good, not difficult and require little maintenace other than phone number update. Some machines even have a GIS option so people’s phone numbers assigned to an area. This helps avoid nuiscence calls.

The one iPhone or Google app I would like to see is for the phone to recognize a GIS layer or geographic area for a message. That way if my phone is assinged to one ciy, Hampton, but is in Norfolk I still get the warning for Norfolk.

Another system allows people to sign up for alerts.

As for Brandy’s second point – sigh. He is sadly quite right. NOAA has weather spotters for midwestern cities. Power companies take calls from citizens to find out where the power is out. Radio stations rely on people to call in and report traffic jams or accidents for the morning trafffic report.

Cities, including mine, do not have this. I’m not sure people even know who in the city to call. Would they be there or would they be in the EOC. In case of a flood, anthrax attack or pandemic how will a city even know what is going on? Which sections are hurt.

One example and then I will get off my soap box. After the tropical storm hit I called a friend in the EOC to say “Power is out in these neighborhoods. IT dept is on backup genny and will need diesel fuel tomorrow. Let the fire and ambulance people know these streets are closed due to power lines hanging across street. Other power lines down. Internet and phones are also out in my neighborhood. Trees on houses at this address. No injuries” Brandy you know what got me – the city was told by FEMA to have a full assesment in 48 hours.

I whish cities would have better information collection and after this critical comment I hope to still have a job.

To the HAM operators out there – salute.