Rob Ahern
Participant

I recently moved and, as a result, my reading suffered for a while but now I’m getting back on track. I’m currently reading:
1. The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan and it’s super interesting for anyone curious about where food comes from, the consequences of our eating decisions, and how we might improve things on a personal level.
2. What Is the What: The Autobiography of Valentino Achak Deng by Dave Eggers; I only made it about half way through A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and I didn’t have high hopes for this one but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. It’s a tough story told in a very approachable manner and I certainly recommend it for folks interested in issues surrounding the Sudanese civil war and the plight of “Lost Boys” in the U.S. Regarding fiction,
3. I finished Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates prior to the movie’s release several months ago. “Affecting” would be a mild term for the novel but it certainly held my attention and gave me plenty to think about.
4. I recently went retro and read Fitzgerald’s This Side of Paradise… for those who haven’t revisited this master since grade school, do yourself a favor and pick something up!

Thanks for starting this discussion- it’s neat to see the diverse tastes represented in the forum, and I appreciate ideas for future forays to the bookstore.