Diana Louise Morgan
Participant

According to emotion regulation theory, individuals may regulate their emotions at several points in the emotion process. If we apply this to the work setting, we can think of the process generally in the following way. The job environment or a particular work event may induce an emotion response in the employee (i.e. anger, sadness, anxiety), and behaviors may follow that would be inappropriate for the encounter (i.e. verbal attack, giving “a” look, displaying emotional distress, complaining). Because the display rules state that such reactions are not appropriate, emotional labor regulates his or her response. This regulation involves modifying feelings by “thinking good thoughts” or reappraising the event (deep acting), or modifying expression by faking or enhancing facial and bodily signs of emotion (surface acting) (Grandy, A., 2000)
What I tend to do in response in my work environment when emotions are at a heightened level is to fake facial expressions. When away from my work environment, I use the support of friends and family to vent, so that I can work through emotions being experienced at work