Jaime Gracia
Participant

I do think that the government is behind the curve when it comes to technology, as the current platforms are outdated, stove-piped systems that help exacerbate inefficiency and redundancy. Although it has been my experience that government may get by with legacy systems, but maintenance and operational costs are skyrocketing and unsustainable. Best practices dictate ensuring processes are improved and streamlined, to better leverage technology. That way a true COTS solution can be implemented successfully. My experience also has been that implementing COTS is difficult because many in government think their processes and business models are unique, and they are far from it. I believe their is a true opportunity for uniformity and standardization for many processes across government, specifically in buying processes. Further, requirements are always a difficult challenge, as requirements seem to never be baselined for technology implementation and insertion. Some of the current waves such as Web 2.0 and clod computing offer potential improvements in the business of government management, most notably significant cost savings and increases in efficiency and performance. Until the government understand more meaningful change management, I think technology will continue to be an issue.