Stacy Rapp
Participant

I worked for Frontier Airlines during their buyout by Republic Airlines, which also bought out Midwest in the same month. Bryan Bedford became the new CEO of this large airline merger. It was a huge economic impact to the cities of Milwaukee, Indianapolis and Denver. After this transition, employee morale had gone down tremendously and if you have ever been through this process you probably know what it’s like to be stripped away of this and that through a merger.

Well, for whatever reason, he decided to do the whole undercover boss thing. To see him working next to a ramp agent or as an airline steward was a very interesting concept to see. It was probably a great way for him to gain some knowledge from an operational stand point as well. Policy is sometimes made without considering the operational impacts. I think this whole concept sheds alot of light on the reality. Whether or not their is positive change as a result is dependent upon the CEO though.

I would love for a senator to be willing to participate. Maybe just on the inefficiencies that the lack of a true budget can cause interdepartmentaly. We might all learn something as we watch C-Span and congress battling out a compromise in Washington, while the largest employer in the world is left unsure of their budget. I think it would shed a huge heap on inefficiencies that Americans would either:

1) Be outraged

2) People might actually turn to their senators and congress and expect them to be able to come up with better compromises. (Although I don’t think this would solve the whole “I’m not going to reach across the aisle problem”.)

I would love to see a senator step up to that challenge!

As far as the disguise, Bryan Bedford pulled off the disguise and I wouldn’t have recognized him either even though his picture was commonly on our Intranet website as well as in our inflight magazine. I think if you don’t know the person, how they talk etc. you probably are not going to recognize them.