Matt Mawhinney
Participant

I want to make the world a better place. And own a minor league baseball team. But, I’ll settle for the former particularly in these lean times in which we live. To that end, I am pursuing a career in the public sector. I believe a career in the public sector offers a unique opportunity to make the world a better place by wedding a mission of service with action that affects people’s daily lives.
Currently, I am a Master’s Degree student at the George Mason University School of Public Policy studying International Commerce and Policy. I am particularly interested in how and to what extent the United States trades with the rest of the world and how these interactions affect both domestic and global welfare. Trade policy and trade flows may seem like dull topics at first, but I believe that free and fair trade has the power to dramatically improve people’s lives around the world.
This summer I am interning at the International Trade Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce. I am helping the Special American Business Internship Training (SABIT) office coordinate visits for groups of Central Asian business professionals who will travel around the U.S. developing business contacts and trading best practices with their industry counterparts here in America. Through the internship, I hope to gain experience in the business and cultural aspects of developing trade relationships.
After I graduate, I plan to continue working in public sector trade promotion with the broader goal of spurring job growth. In these lean times, one thing that would dramatically improve people’s lives is more jobs. Two ways to create more jobs are attracting foreign investment and improving export performance. Through my completed and planned coursework in Trade Relations, Economics, and Importing/Exporting, I will be well prepared to work in both these areas.
Though I do not have prior experience in job creation, I do have experience in helping my peers find jobs and know the satisfaction this can bring for both parties. As an undergraduate, I was a member of my school’s chapter of the Association Internationale des Étudiants en Sciences Économiques et Commerciales (AIESEC) where I helped fellow students locate and secure internships in foreign countries. Also, I was recently elected to the executive board of the George Mason School of Public Policy Students Association in which capacity I will help organize networking and career events.
As I said above, I am attracted to the public sector by the prospect of affecting—and improving— people’s daily lives. It is how I will fulfill my goal of making the world a better place. And if I happen to improve someone’s life who finds it in his or heart to buy me a minor league baseball team, then that would be nice too.