Michael O. Johnston
Participant

Seeing myself as a scholar and professional in the field of public administration, with a passion for working with youth programming, I put a great deal of time and effort in many academic and leadership roles. Because of my desire to meet my many commitments I often juggle many leadership positions at once, some with no compensation (only the enjoyment of partaking in the leadership role). At the present time I have five (5) leadership roles, including: Lead Teacher and Health & Safety Coordinator for Apple Tree Adventures, Webmaster for Iowa Community Education Association, Owner of Lasting Impressions Events Management and Consulting, Ph.D Student at Walden University, Community Leader for Govloop.com. Throughout my life I have worked as hard as possible to receive as much experience as possible to benefit my future in both school and society.

As an undergraduate at Buena Vista University (BVU) I had the opportunity to complete an internship with Quincy Place Mall (Developers Diversified Realty) in Ottumwa IA as an events manager where I had the responsibility to develop several events. While there were several events that were hosted while completing my internship, the one that was the most memorable to me was “Take a Shot for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)” an event that earned over $2,000 for the local MS Chapter (Des Moines, IA). During my undergraduate degree at BVU I earned a Bachelors of Science with a double major in Sociology and Psychology, graduating with honors (Magna Cum Laude). Following my degree from BVU, I was blessed to have the chance to attend college at Iowa State University where I completed the Masters of Public Administration program, where I completed my creative component (equivalence of a thesis) on the topic of Quality Assessment of Chrysalis Afterschool Programs in Des Moines, IA (Using Youth Program Quality Assessment standards), and during my time interned with Martha McCormick and Next Step Inc. (the organization worked with several local agencies, such as: Iowa Community Education Association, Chrysalis Afterschool Program, and several others) where I put together the first Global Youth Service Day (GYSD) held in Iowa.

The central reason, above all of my experiences for why I see myself as a qualified candidate and why I believe I should be considered for this scholarship is my passion for youth, and wanting to make lives successful for young people. As I see myself as a life-time educator my goal is three prongs with each connecting to one another. The first prong is to bring find opportunities to continue raising funds and providing events for nonprofit organizations. The second prong is to continue seeking opportunities to educate and guide youth down the right paths in life by providing at-risk youth with organized programs that are enjoyable for youth to partake in. The third and final prong is to continue being an adjunct professor in the field of Public Administration, where I am empowering adults with education and knowledge.