Kyle Robisch
Participant

It did not take me very long after arriving at the University of Florida to realize that I wanted to dedicate my career to public service. To me, public service is more than just a resume line or something you do occasionally on a Saturday afternoon-it is what I want to do with my life. I believe that I am the most qualified candidate for this scholarship because I not only already have a strong record of public service outside of the classroom, but my dedication to serving others permeates my .
My goal is to attain a law degree from Georgetown so that I can be an attorney for the Central Intelligence Agency or the Department of Homeland Security. To ensure that I can actually achieve this career goal, I have already completed two federal internships. I worked for the Region 7 Headquarters of the Environmental Protection Agency, in the Office of the Science Policy Advisor. I also interned for the Department of Homeland Security Headquarters in Washington D.C. last summer, in Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Office of International Affairs. During the school year, I work to help other students apply for federal internships and full-time jobs, as a Federal Service Student Ambassador with the non-profit Partnership for Public Service.
My work experience is not the only aspect of my life that I center around public service. I am heavily involved in service activities on my campus and in my local community. I founded and am president of a student organization that donates extra food from campus eateries to the largest homeless shelter/food pantry in Gainesville. It doesn’t stop there, as I also serve as president of the UF Speech and Debate Team and am a nationally ranked policy debater. As a Student Senator, I represented the largest college at the University of Florida and I still maintain a connection to my home state of Kansas as Chairman of the Kansas Youth Advisory Council to the US Public Service Academy. In the latter position I have had opinion-editorials published in newspapers such as the Kansas City Star and featured on CBS National News’ website and I also personally secured co-sponsorships of House Resolution 2102 (The US Public Service Academy Act) from two of Kansas’ US Representatives.
Even my educational experiences and objectives revolve around public service. I am pursuing a minor in public leadership from the Bob Graham Center for Public Service at UF, as well as a certificate in public affairs from the UF Department of Political Science. The Bob Graham Center also named me one of only two Policy Scholars, whereby I received a grant to conduct public service oriented research over the next two years.
Although I am sure there are many qualified candidates for the CampusGov/GovLoop Scholarship, I believe I am the most qualified because my ethic of public service goes beyond just an internship or service project. My educational, career and extracurricular goals and experiences all have one common thread-a commitment to public service.