Meyer Moldeven
Participant

Re: "Why Engage Citizens Online? They Only Complain Anyway."
That title suggests to me that the 'citizen' is of the 'general public' and needs assistance or understanding from a gov't official. I worked in an IG shop for many years, and investigating civil service and military complaints to the IG and preparing replies to Congressional Inquiries were a significant part of my duties. My experience is that most military and civilian people in government service don't "…Complain Anyway." They do know when they're getting a brush off.

About Congressionals, the following is from a gov't pamphlet.

Members of Congress hold their office by the vote of their citizen- constituents. Public Law entitles constituents to correspond with their elected officials, who, in turn, will seek answers, information, and resolutions from government agencies. ----- soldiers, members of their families, civilian employees, or anyone else may ask their elected officials to help them with a matter involving them and/or the Department of the ----. Members take very sincere and active interest in their constituents’ problems and will insist each inquiry be given sympathetic consideration, equitable treatment, and timely response. Mike