This is a tough question to answer because I’ve been on both sides — taking complaints and giving complaints. Still, let’s see what we have here with Pros, Cons and Potential Solutions.
Engaging Citizens Pros
– Makes your agency look pro-active.
– You get access to ideas (solutions and problems) you may not know about.
Engaging Citizens Cons
– Yes, often it probably will turn into a gripe session. I have experienced this.
– Occassionally crazy people will get through and annoy you…even spam you. This has happened to me.
– If customer/constituent service is part of your job, then this is another medium to you have monitor.
– Ignore the general complaints; focus on the specific complaints.
– Advertise engagement as a solutions tool, not complain tool. Tell people to only come to you with potential solutions to specific problems.
– Tell people to complain through email and phone calls.