Phyllis L. Alberici
Participant

I'd have to agree that generational stereotypes carry the inherent risk that all types of stereotyping does: it puts people in boxes and potentially nails down the lid. I'm a Boomer and despise the whole derisive cache that term implies. If I believed what I read, I would put myself on the conveyor belt at the glue factory.

I belong to a work group here that is working to develop a stronger social media focus and I've been surprised at the limited use of social media tools by the youngest members of the staff. I'm also amused when I read that Baby Boomers are "risk averse". I believe that diminishes our potential and creates a negative and false belief that we are intransigent and potentially resistant to organizational change. Might this also serve as a generalization that limits chances for hiring, promotion and the real possibility of losing valued employment? This is as foolish as my believing that hiring someone who is the age of my children is a poor investment because their stereotype includes "me-ness", job jumping and a tendency to forget the clock.

I think it's definitely time for HR managers and supervisors to ditch such broad definitions and engage the applicant and employee on a level field.