Mike Herrmann
Participant

Henry,

I’m dealing with these same issues right now. I’d add two more points for government consideration:

Building a private cloud is expensive, and the “savings” from moving current infrastructure into a private cloud will not offset the costs of building the cloud. There are many reasons a private cloud makes sense, but leadership seems fixated on cost savings and our evaluation shows it just isn’t there initially. Down the road, yes, but only after a substantial investment.

My other concern for cloud within the government is the sheer number of cloud environments. The reason Amazon, Google, and Microsoft are able to achieve cost savings is because their environments are massive and scalability drives costs down. If every small, medium, and large government agency builds “private clouds” we will never achieve the massive, multi-tenant environments the private sector has achieved which will reduce the overall cloud savings. We need broad cooperation between agencies to agree to leverage common, shared environments.

Mike