Kitty Wooley
Participant

I stayed up way past my bedtime last night and went to this for a couple of hours. L2 Lounge, and its cousin Leopold, share the same kitchen and are down Cady’s Alley – if anyone is ever in Georgetown and wants to try them out, they are between the Georgetown Park mall and the Key Bridge.

Was really pleased to have some time to talk with John Hagel. He’s a thoughtful man. Even when he’s traveling, he tries to write daily from 4-7 a.m. – now, that’s discipline. Here are a few more nuggets for everyone’s consideration, because Scott Hielen has it right; this is very useful.

Pull: “The ability to draw out people and resources as needed to address opportunities and challenges.

Some characteristics of pull:
– collaboration
– flexibility
– bottom-up initiatives
flows of knowledge

Some characteristics of push:
– centralized control
– conformity
– top-down directives
stocks of knowledge

John Hagel and John Seely Brown would be the first to tell you that this is not an either/or situation; it’s a both/and. It’s situational. The point is, if we don’t figure out how to bring pull characteristics into our organizations, we will fail to maximize value, the innovators will leave, and we may even fail to adapt enough to survive.

The easy availability of social media tools and other technologies has created an explosion of new work options. One of the things John Hagel is concerned about – and I have heard the same concern expressed by Judy Estrin, Dick O’Neill, and Tim O’Reilly – is that the country needs more innovation that’s grounded in math and science competencies, not just social competencies. Again, it’s not an either/or.