Bill Huddleston
Participant

I think one of the most important skills for both new managers and all employees is that of listening. Ironically it is probably the skill that most people receive the least amount of professional development in. The executive coach section of govexec dot com actually had a post about this a few days ago.

Here’s my response, and if any govloop readers would like the ECQ worksheet mentioned, please just send me an e-mail. Thanks, Bill

Post re Leadership Skill – listening:

There actually is a government wide program that provides many opportunities to develop and practice one’s leadership and project management skills, including what many leadeship experts consider the most important, that of learning to listen. What is this program — it’s the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) which is a mandatory, completely voluntary program held each fall in every U.S. Federal agency.

If you would like my article about the leadership development opportunities that are available in the CFC, plus my Excel worksheet that matches the ECQ (Executive Core Qualfications) competencies to the CFC roles available, please send me an e-mail with “Fed CFC” in the subject line and I’ll be glad to send you both.

Regards,
Bill Huddleston
The CFC Coach
BillHuddleston1 at gmail dot com

The opening line of my leadership article is “Did you learn to swim by reading a book?”