Kevin Elliott
Participant

Daniel,

My take on this is that voting is both a right and a privilege. It is a right, guaranteed by law; but it is also a privilege that must be used. I spent 26 years on active duty and I always voted absentee, because I maintained my Texas state residency until I retired. Now I work in DC and live in Virginia. I put in for administrative leave so that I can go home early enough to go to the polls and perform my civic duty. Duty. That’s another great word to use in this discussion.

Two quick points and I will relinquish the soap box.
1) I remember being told many years ago that if you vote, the opposition has to have two votes to beat you. That should be more than enough reason to get out and check a box, pull a lever, or punch out a hanging chad.
2) When I do enter into a political discussion, I always ask if the other person if they were able to vote and if they voted. If they were able to but didn’t vote, I won’t discuss this issue with them. If it isn’t important enough for them to act on during the election, it’s not important enough now for me to hear your views.

Thanks,

Kevin