John F Myers
Participant

Hi Maggie, There is a lot of good advise here. My name is John Myers and I am a government employee for DoD. Dan nailed an important fact. The KSA’s. Just in case you are not sure what those are, they are “Knowledge, Skill, Ability”. They are very important. Most of the jobs are listed on usajobs.gov. They also list the KSA’s required for that position. Your resume needs to reflect those KSA’s. All of them or as much of them as possible. Also, I have been trying to get my wife a job on the base here for a while now. Even with me working here it is difficult. One of the other things the HR people told me is apply for the job by the FIRST cutoff date. Those who apply by the first cutoff date have priority in the selection process. You will see something like this:

Announcement Number: SW0-5306-08-P5840090-UDE-FL Open Date: 10/21/2010
Closing Date: 11/03/2010 1st Cut-Off Date: 10/27/2010
Initial consideration will be given to candidates whose applications have been received by midnight (Eastern Standard Time) on the first cut-off date.

Another way to get into government service is the way I did. Keep in mind, I am a veteran as well. I started off as a contractor and spent a year working as a contractor, built up a reputation, skills, knowledge and experience and the program on the base that hired the contractor got to know me and my work ethic…After a year I transitioned over to government and have been here ever since. I hope this helps you. Let me know if you need any assistance regarding your resume. I can review it if you like.