Candace Riddle
Participant

I really couldn’t deal with the loss of either. I mean lets face it…at age 4 I raced down the stairs of my home and into the kitchen to announce to my mom that I knew how to spell “stop”. “S-T-O-P”, I said, and then proudly proclaimed that it was the Sesame Street word of the day! It was a very cool moment for a 4 year old.

More recently, while pursuing my M.A. Diplomacy at Norwich University, I used a great YouTube video featuring Cookie Monster, to talk about PR and crisis management. I’m not affraid to admit that I’m 27 and I’m still learning from Sesame Street.

The loss of funding for these great programs would appear to be in direct conflict with the constant urging of high level execs to “educate the next generation” into the competitive global market.

Just last month a study comparing educational outcomes of students in the 34 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries ranked U.S. teenagers in the middle of the pack in science and in the bottom third in math. What’s more alarming, for the first time the study also included China – a non-OECD country – and the results were clear. Chinese students ran away with the best scores across the board.

In short our nation’s position on the world stage requires us to focus on the readiness of the next generation. Improving our education system is a critical piece to that puzzle and should be the common ground that surpasses partisan rhetoric.