Thanks to everyone who replied. I know it seems obvious that networking is actually happening online and I fully agree it is. What is interesting is how networking has changed because of online opportunities. Some questions that I have been thinking about:
1) Are we getting better at networking in general because of online sites?
2) Is there more reciprocity in our networking relationships?
3) Are we switching from a market-capitalism model to a relationship-capitalism model because of online networking?
4) Is online networking enabling monitory democracy?
5) What is the new citizen like in an online networking world?