Steve Ressler
Keymaster

This was a comment by Peter Sperry on a previous version of this post:

No, I am not worried about backlash attacks by terrorists. There is a statistically greater chance of being struck by lighting multiple times than being a victim of a terrorist. Anyone prone to cower in fear should seriously reconsider driving on the highway, walking city streets after dark, eating day old fruit, swiming after eating or a host of other activites far more dangerous than leading a normal life in world with a handful of crackpots.

Yes, I am greatly concerned about the excessive overreation which we can expect from law enforcement, Homeland Security and publicity seeking politicians. Senator Schumer has already called for a “No Ride” list for Amtrak, the DC Metro has said they may expand their violations of the 4th amendment rights of passangers, and of course TSA immediatly put up a blog post promising to protect us from ourselves (in an environment so dangerous they bring their children to watch). I can remember when this country was much less of a police state and pray for the day when we sill shake off our paranoia and get back to living our lives. Our grand parents who lived through the gangster wars of the 30s and our great grandparents who lived through everything from violent inner city slums to the wild west would be deeply ashamed to see how we meekly cower in fear every time there is a news report of something violent in the world and they would certainly never have tolerated the contempt for civil liberties demonstrated on a daily basis by those who “keep us secure”.