Andre Castillo
Participant

I agree, well said. That was interesting to read.

To expand on my earlier comment — I work for a political appointee and his approach is definitely “trust but verify.” I’m sure this applies to many elected officials from my indirect experience with them as well.

However, I’m also thinking of things like the Department of Justice’s $15 muffin fiasco, where it was assumed by a number of elected officials that DoJ would be so inept as to pay $15 for a muffin that it led to a full-blown investigation (which certainly cost a lot more than $15) that found that the muffin was actually more like $3. Even though the DoJ had already explained that this was the case. Not much trust there.

I’m also reminded of recent comments by former Speaker Newt Gingrich, when he said that there is enough waste, fraud, and abuse in the Federal Government to pay for the deficit by itself. Really? He is no longer an elected official, but that speaks volumes of his low trust in bureaucrats. Things are expensive and slow here because of overhead — policies, regs, multiple signatures, etc. — that are written into law by who? By Congress!

If Congress trusted us (or themselves), they would certainly go a little lighter on the regs, especially in HR, IT, and acquisitions. I have tomes of regs, stacked like bibles, that I have to follow on these three subjects to get anything of substance accomplished. Yikes. It just makes you not want to do anything new, because you not only have to read all that, you have to teach it to all your colleagues as well, who I assure you haven’t read all of them themselves. And heaven forbid the tomes change (and get more restrictive!), which they always do. COTR/COR training — I’m looking at you.