1. No, it is not just for PMPs. The project manager is usually managing a team of associates and subordinates. Staff has to know and understand the impacts of their participation in a project and manage their share or the whole team loses ground and credability in the process. The timeline slips. Training all staff should help smaller projects complete faster and keep larger projects from slipping as much.

2. No, there should not be separate PM offices. Projects happen in all departments and an education in good project management principles makes progress and change happen. People are more engaged in the change because they understand it better and how they fit in making the process better.

3. We do have a mandate to have more project managers with formal training. I see a lot of people go to training and come back and go about their business as usual. A few take it to heart, but they can’t buck the trend. Too many have been around for many more years than I have in public sector. The comment I hear most often is, “and this too shall pass.” So many mandates are related to politics which change on a regular basis.

I took the PMBOK training some years ago, based on that mandate. I was working in a data management position while they put together a position description for the position. I thought it was great and wished I had that training for the many projects I had been involved in. I think if it were applied by those who are taking the training, fewer projects would stall out. Some seem to go on for years. Makes me crazy to watch. I tend to be task oriented and need to see an end. Too many people don’t seem to share that.

In private sector, if your company spends money sending you to training it had better be used. I never received formal training when I was involved in systems development. I remember learning gant charts and teaching staff that was assigned to my part of the project, how we fit into the program and what I expected from them to help our team achieve our goals.