Terrence Hill
Participant

I’m not a “communications” (public affairs, social media) person, but merely an employee, so I’m timid about responding to this question, but I think it will prove my point.

Employees will be given a voice through social media and will be encouraged to participate in a democratization of the workforce. Communication will not just be for leaders or “communications” experts (social media practitioners), but for everyday employees. The availability of no-cost social networks and idea generations systems, combined with the need to get serious about becoming more effective and efficient, will require that leaders actively solicit feedback and “listen” to employees. Employees will be freed from the tyranny of politically-correct censors and be encouraged to be honest, frank, and open. Instead of being punished for having an opinion, employees who speak the truth will be recognized for their courage and creativity.

I know that this is an overly optimistic, utopian vew, but I think that this is the only alternative for opening communications between leaders and employees. This will require trust and loosening of the restrictions on use of social networks, but I think we can agree that they aren’t as subversive or dangerous as we once thought.