Joshua Salmons
Participant

I get what the article is trying to say–that living your life in the hopes of distilling all moments down to Facebook posts or 140-character tweets like some court reporter is unnatural…but I’d say many people always have an “eye” for something when they’re living.

Comics have an “eye” in that they are always looking for new material for their routines. The stereotypical used-car salesman has an “eye” and will treat everyone he meets like a potential customer. Politicians are always campaigning. Artists are always looking for that pattern, layout, or bit of the natural world to inspire them to create.

We don’t look down on those people as unfortunate, as the article suggests–like they’re missing out on life. It’s just how they are–sometimes. Healthy individuals know when to take a break. Sure, we’ve developed sayings like “stop and smell the roses” to combat how some people do seem to be too wrapped up in work, but we don’t decry work and say everyone should stop pursuing their trade or craft. In my opinion, the Facebook Eye phenomenon is just another example of people enthralled with a platform/lifestyle/etc., wishing to express themselves. Will people become too obsessed? Sure. Those in the developed world are creatures of excess.

And is the Facebook Eye more mainstream that the situations of comics, car salesmen, politicians, etc.? Yes. Is it unnatural? Well, I’d say it’s no more fake than we were already. Jersey Shore? Dancing with the Stars? The Super Bowl? When we were obsessing about these things day and night on the phone, at the office or during our TV shows, were we being more real then?