Mark Hammer
Participant

If you study emotion and motivation theory, what you’ll see is that organisms can act pretty blasé about upcoming events, whether positive or negative, if they know what the event is and when it’s coming. I recall well, studies where monkeys would sit, waiting for a signal that a shock was coming, and blithely hit a button or lever to avoid it, with precious little indication that they were worried or anxious. Where emotions tend to be heightened is when the organism has some sense that something is going to happen, but they don’t know what or when. And as I’m irritatingly fond of repeating, when transparency gets up and leaves the table, fear, loathing, and paranoid conspiracy theories are more than willing to take its seat.

The difficulty with publicly announced reorganization plans is that they are very often incomplete with respect to form, extent, or timelines. Sometimes, those leading the change make clear what will NOT change, and that is consoling. But they don’t always do that.

Probably a good idea to work out the full content of the announcement in advance, including those aspects I’ve noted.