Kelly Anderson
Participant

Erica,

CMS (the Federal agency that administers Medicare, Medicaid, Children’s health insurance, and the new health insurance provisions under health reform in HHS) has the same level of access, though we do in fact have a Flickr account–though none of us can get to it at work. LinkedIn is also blocked. (All GovLoop goodies have to be digested at home and printed out or copied and pasted for work.)

A very small handful of people in our main communications office can upload YouTube, LinkedIn, and Twitter content. Our YouTube access is limited only to the CMS and HHS Department channels. I completely get the need for a streamlined, centralized process for speaking on the Agency’s behalf about social media, but if I have a partner or colleague in another agency that needs me to see/access social media content, it will have to wait for the nighttime. I know others in HHS and non-HHS agencies that have more access, and a few in very small agencies who have no access at all.

So frustrating! I have much love and respect for the issues our IT bretheren must deal with to keep our systems safe and secure, but most of them (not just in my Agency) say that they don’t know what I’m talking about when I mention the Executive Order about open gov and the WH push to make social media available as a citizen engagement tool. Seems as though our IT friends need the same political green light that we communicators have been given to help them navigate the concerns they have about social media access.