Josh Nankivel
Participant

Certification doesn’t make good program or project managers.

While the process of certification should increase your knowledge, it’s not necessarily so. If a PMP boot camp is your only preparation, the process is going to do very little for you, even if you pass the test. Even if you do gain knowledge, how can we ensure the knowledge is applied, or indeed is even applicable in our specific project environments?

Competency-based certifications like IPMA has may do better because you must have the required experience and show competency. I’m not sure the competency standard is rigorous enough either to be reliable, but I’d rather hire a program or project manager with a comptency-based certification over something like a PMP. However most organizations aren’t sophisticated enough about this to even know what some of these certifications are, so the demand is low.

But I’m pretty confident in my original answer; certification does not make good program (or project) managers. It’s just one factor in everything that goes into the evaluation of a program or project manager’s competency, and in some cases the weight is small enough to be ignored.