You are absolutely right on those points. There are lots of pros and cons to every process change. It would not be beneficial in the long run to put a cap on contractors. The market changes constantly, up and down. Once a cap is in place for government, it would take an act of Congress to reverse it.

What the company gets paid isn’t what the contractor gets paid. As a contractor at one time, I didn’t get any benefits, just a large salary. I did much better working private sector jobs for benefits and salary than as a contractor or federal employee. Even my 401ks were better than my retirement package with the government. I get more satisfaction out of my government job. All the rules and regulations that surround all the funding make me a little anxious sometimes, being a budget analyst, extremely challenging and a bit dangerous. They are meant to ensure the taxpayer gets their monies worth, but then it bogs down the processes which costs the taxpayer more money. Putting a cap on contractors would cost more in the end because it cannot be kept up to date to reflect the market.

We have way too many inane laws and regulations, that shouldn’t be on the books now. They were considered important at one time but quickly became outdated and are, for the most part just ignored. I think every now and then some lawyer dredges up an obscure law to go after or protect someone.