Samuel F Doucette
Participant

Let’s define micromanagement first. If you mean micromanagement = providing structure and guidance (ie, the “How to” vs the “What needs to be done”), then in certain situations it is good. A situation might be if you are a working level supervisor over a team of new analysts still learning the technical side of the job for which they are well-qualified to do. In this case, your team has talent but is still marching up the learning curve. Some of what is called “micromanagement” might be justified there. I prefer to call it “training and mentoring.”

If micromanagement = excessive control and oversight into the daily work habits of employees when they have proven capable of running projects successfully on their own, then micromanagement is definitely a bad thing leading to poor morale, pettiness, etc.

My philosophy is to treat my employees like the adult professionals they are until or unless they prove otherwise. The converse is, if you treat employees like kids instead of adults, don’t be surprised if they react to you like kids through back-biting, passive-aggressive behavior, shirking, etc.