Denise Petet
Participant

I agree.

I think there also needs to be a tolerance for people finding their own way to do things. For example, way back when, I worked at a grocery store and it was up to each cashier to count down their drawer at the end of their shift. The goal was to have 140 in cash, 1’s, 5’s and change, and $10 in food stamps. I would teach them and I’d say ‘this is the goal, this is how I do it, I don’t care how you do it, just get it right and have this amount of money in the drawer when you bring it back to me’

THe micromanager tosses a fit if you don’t count it EXACTLY the way they do, the ‘solid direction and guidance’ is ‘here’s your goal (the $140 + $10) here’s how I do it, if you find a way that works better for you, fine, but know that you have to be right’

Intolerance for other working styles is a sign of a micromanager. Say things the way I do, use the phrases I do, take the actions I take, follow this work flow, etc. They need to recognize that everyone doesn’t have to mimick them to get the job done.

People often learn from their mistakes, but in forcing some to do things ‘your way’ you may be forcing them so far out of their ‘zone’ that you end up generating more mistakes than they would have made had you just let them do it.