Robin Shoberg
Participant

Uhmm let see, no pay raises for two or more years, no chance for advancement in your pay grade, my retirement, after working 30+ years, will be based on high 5 years of work, which will reduce my retirement, paying for more into my retirment which is actually a pay decrease, paying more of the share of my health insurance, and to top it off people hate us, yah I think I will go work somewhere else. Is it no wonder that college grads don’t want to work for the Federal Government. When I started, 29 years ago, I was following what JFK stated “ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” I was not able to get into the military so I went into the civilian side of the Government. For the most part working for the Government has not been that bad. I live in a very small town in North Dakota and there are very few that make the money that I do and at first the benefits were not that bad, but now as I approach retirement, I have notice that what was once a good retirement is not mediocre at best. My years of experience is no longer appreciated and is actually frown upon.

In the survey, these graduates want a starting job to pay them $60,000 +. It took me over 20 years to reach that level of pay. When I was hired as a graduate from one of the big colleges in North Dakota with two bachelor degrees my starting pay was $13,300. It seems that these grads need to get a touch of reality. There once was a saying “those who can do, those who can’t teach.” Now it seem that working for the government is “those that are ambitious and want to make a difference in the world work for big business and those who are under educated and lazy work for the government” and this is too bad because working for the government is not that bad.