Faye Newsham
Participant

We track total numbers of users and new users each week/month for each tool, tweets/blogs/videos posted, the public facing fed website traffic, popular site pages, and a few other items. We can see upticks in social media folks signing up related to social media activity (posts) and website traffic (up) related to the same. We also have tools that capture the FAQ type questions and we can review those statistics in time-frames that allow us to draw some conclusions – such as the number of questions dropped the month a new section of the website went live on the same topic. The important thing, as explained to me several years ago, is to treat the federal website just like a marketing one, what “transactions” spell success? In the Fed case, this isn’t always directly money related so you have to dig to get at what is important to you and your audiences. Maybe it is how many people visit the FAQ pages and don’t ask a new question (you’ve already addressed it). Or, how many people sign up for an informational newsletter each month. It is different for everyone. You can also address cost over transaction if you must (for those critical folks)… how many person hours does it take to perform this FAQ work compared to answering phones and repeating the same answer all the time from several years ago? I ran into a case where a low-level contractor spent a significant portion of each day answering simple, repetitive questions that should have been on the website (and even the customer calling would say “I looked on the FAQ page and didn’t see this answer”) – by posting the answer to a single question, easily an hour a day of her time could be eliminated, a clear financial win.