I am not in charge of my agency, but if I were here are some of the changes I would make to our performance management system:
- Instead of an Annual Process – Make it a Continuous Process
- Use “Social Goals” that are Shared Instead of Private/Indivdual Goals
- Measure Networked Performance, Not Just Individual Performance
- Use Peer/Multi-Rater Feedback Process to Feed Process
- Use a System Like SalesForce’s (http://www.work.com)
We have been struggling with performance management for decades. Instead of tinkering with the “form” or process or levels, we need to make performance management social by adopting some of the same technology that we use for social networks like GovLoop.