Hello,
First of all, I wanted to know if all positions in your job series will be downgraded? If the intent of management is to downgrade your job series and full performance level, it should not affect the incumbent currently on payroll, but once you leave your position, the position will be filled at a lower full performance level.

If you or management requests a desk audit for your position and for other positions within a business unit, the agency can perform the audit and the results will not be enforced by OPM. If the position is downgraded, it is up to agency to enforce or not. That is what I understand. Employees can appeal to OPM if the position is classified at a higher grade but agency denies to honor it.

If your job series is targeted for audit or for downgrade, it must be done across the Department, not just you. I am concerned if just a few of you are targeted.

In terms of employment application in the future, you can show that you have performed at the GS-8 level and you should be eligible at the next promotional level. Remember that people sometimes perform in the same job series but the complexity is less so the pay is less, that is all.

Auditing a job series for the entire Department has occurred under the Gore’s reinvention government and it can happen again to help eliminate government expenses on personnel cost; however , targeting someone or a few is discriminatory. Not sure if anyone has other experiences they want to share!