David B. Grinberg

Thanks for your thoughtful and valuable feedback, Dave.

I would say that there’s definitely a huge learning curve in adapting to the virtual work world. It certainly will not occur overnight. Yet it will happen at some point, just as newspapers and other forms of traditional communications are becoming antiquated and replaced by digital/mobile tech. Moreover, just as the 20th century work world changed with the times per the Industrial Revolution and greater innovations.

Thus the sooner all employees become familiar with this brave new virtual work world, the better off everyone will be to ease the coming transition. To reiterate my response to Peter (above):

I am not saying that the traditional office structure should be entirely replaced by remote work. However, I am advocating for mandatory minimum telework requirements for all eligible employees — a determination made by one’s manager/supervisor and HR. Of course, some jobs will never be conducive to remote work (although those folks may be replaced by robots in the future).

Just like learning to ride a bike or drive a car takes time — and feels awkward and uncomfortable at first — so will the transition to the virtual workplace. I know of a few employers who have already eliminated the traditional office structure altogether. They work and communicate virtually most of the time and meet up in person at a specified location once a week or as needed.

Just recall all the benefits of remote work: major cost savings, no commute, less pollution, more family and leisure time, etc.

It appears — to me at least — that the many benefits of remote/mobile work outweigh the potential downsides. Future generations born into the virtual work world will look back at us like dinosaurs in pre-historic times…and today’s workers certainly don’t want to go the way of the dinosaurs.