Michael Steadman
Participant

In my experience other agencies are either struggling with the MySite feature or have decided to turn it off (or not turn it on in the first place) – There are some add-ons that can help – but no silver-bullet, I’m afraid. One recent customer turned off MySite purely because a high-ranking person suddenly realized that the ‘follow’ feature was not a 2-way approval, i.e. anyone can follow anyone else… (there are several web-parts available that ‘fix’ this issue) – Consider NOT using MySite – but instead implementing one of the 3rd party ‘social’ add-ons that allow collaboration- and the ability to micro-blog, follow, like, etc- If finding people or skills is of value (out of the box MySite feature) – there are very affordable web-parts / solutions for this, too- This would let the SharePoint Administrator control the risk of having a MySite explosion with regards to Governance (both storage/data – but also sub-site creation capabilities and all of the issues therein). So the short answer – in my humble opinion – is to not just look at this challenge as a “turn it on or not” situation- there are affordable alternatives using 3rd party tools that immediately get your users to ‘most’ (maybe 90%?) of the MySite functionality, without any of the MySite risk.

My 2 cents-

Reminder DC SharePoint peeps- 6th annual http://www.sharepointconference.org is officially less than 7 weeks away- Govt. discounts available on the site. Hope to see everyone there.